User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Saving Metadata to TIFF/JPEG using CS5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saving Metadata to TIFF/JPEG using CS5

Stupid question I expect but I can't find the answer in CS5 Help or online.

I want to preserve the metadata when I save my RAW files as TIFF (for post processing) and JPEG (for posting on the web). I understand that ACR will create an XMP file but surely there's a way to preserve the EXIF data in the TIFF or JPEG file?

Or have I got it all confused?

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's ok, ACR doesn't remove EXIF data. Once you open the image into Photoshop go to File > File Info, and you'll find it's all there.

Actually, it's harder to remove EXIF data than it is to preserve it

When you use File > Save for web and devices, you'll find there are various options for how much data to preserve with the file. You get a choice of none, all, copyright only, etc. It's all in a drop-down menu in the interface - you'll see it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    when in CS5, make sure your photo is in 8 bit mode and use FILE SAVE AS to include the EXIF with the JPG. If you do not have your file in 8 bit, you will not have the choice of JPG from the drop down list.

As far as I am aware TIF files include EXIF automatically.

Note that FILE SAVE FOR WEB will automatically remove EXIF data, unless you adjust the settings in the FILE SAVE FOR WEB screen, to include EXIF
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I work in 16 bit and use "Save for web" to convert to JPEG. Now found the Metadata dropdown option.

Cheers.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For TIFF I seem to recall you need to save as uncompressed to keep the metadata. When you have finished with your TIFF files and want to export to the Internet or for distribution, then use File and Save As
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI