Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Nikon D7000 NEF files

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon D7000 NEF files

Hi there

Just bought my new camera... in fact just yesterday A Nikon D7000. Very happy with it so far. I've only just sat down to download some photos and can't seem to open any NEF files in photoshop CS4 or Lightroom. Is there something I should be doing. I didn't think I needed to upgrade any software as they both read NEF files from my previous camera... the Nikon D60. Can anyone give me any advice? Thanks.
    Never to old to learn new things!

Nikon D7000, Nikon D60. Nikkor 24-70 2.8f, Kit lens 18-55mm, 70-300mm, 50mm, 12-24mm and other bits and pieces.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you will find that you need to do a quick adobe update so that the newer version recognises the D7000 files.
    Each new camera from whichever maker seems to have to be added to the adobe programs as they are released.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to expand on Andrew's post, Photoshop uses a "plug-in" called Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) that converts the NEF files before opening Photoshop itself. You need to download a version of ACR that supports the D7000. However from memory the last release of ACR I checked wasn't able to be used with older versions of Photoshop before CS5 - you'll need to check Adobe's website for specifics. If you have Lightroom 3 you should be able to download the latest version (v3.3 I think). If you have older LR you might need to pay for an upgrade.

A non-Adobe alternative is to install Nikon ViewNX2 (available as a free download if you don't already have it) and use that to do your initial NEF conversion, saving files in TIFF etc, then opening the converted files in Photoshop. Obviously a less efficient and less powerful workflow option but can be done at no (monetary) cost.

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    something I found was you had to download the files to the PC before CS5, using ACR would open a nef file....if you try and open them from the memory card via the Camera..it wont work..at least it didn't for me !

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned above, you need the latest version of ACR (search fro Adobe Camera Raw on the Adobe website.) However, I suspect it won't work with CS4. (I had a similar issue with Elements 8.)

An alternative is to use the Adobe DNG converter (free download from Adobe) - the latest version will read D7000 NEFs - and CS4 will read the DNGs that are created. (This is how I worked for 3 months before biting the bullet and upgrading to to PSE9)
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad you got the new camera. Had mine for a couple of weeks and very impressed. Adobe raw to DNG converter works for me. Free too.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer_rob View Post
    As mentioned above, you need the latest version of ACR (search fro Adobe Camera Raw on the Adobe website.) However, I suspect it won't work with CS4. (I had a similar issue with Elements 8.)
    Yeh you're correct, from the Adobe website "The Camera Raw 6.3 plug-in is not compatible with versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS5. "

May have to upgrade to CS5,,,it has some great enhancements.
    Currently using;
    Nikon D850

Lotsa other bits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings
    Even Photoshop CS5 (that a friend owns) wouldn't open the D7000's nef files.
    I downloaded the trial of ACDSee 4 and it will open the files, so I purchased it.
    For simple editing, I find this much easier to use than Photoshop, except it doesn't have layers support or a lot of other things in Photoshop. Of course, the price is much less, so don't expect so much.
    Give the trial a go and see if it meets your needs

Peace & Happiness and happy shooting
    Geoff

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SerenityGate View Post
    Greetings
    Even Photoshop CS5 (that a friend owns) wouldn't open the D7000's nef files.
    CS5 does indeed support the D7000 but you need to download the Camera RAW 6.3 update for CS5.

Anyway, I was looking on with someone using ACDSee Photo Editor 4 just last week and it seems fine for most purposes. Layers are referred to as "objects" in ACDSee 4.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm a bit annoyed as it seems that I only just upgraded to CS4 and now I will have to upgrade again. I will give the other options a try and see how I go. Really appreciate your help... Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Adobe DNG converter, too tight to upgrade CS4 to CS5
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]www.flickr.com/photos/warrend3

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All ,

Sorry to bring uo a old thread, but I am having trouble opening NEF files on my recently purchased D7000. (no probs with the D90)I have Photshop Elements 9 and CS5. Do I need to go through the above to open these files.

Cheers fisher

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use irfanview to convert to tiff.... i dont know if that helps you

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fisher View Post
    ... I am having trouble opening NEF files on my recently purchased D7000. (no probs with the D90)I have Photshop Elements 9 and CS5.
    Hi fisher, as per Peter's post above...

Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    CS5 does indeed support the D7000 but you need to download the Camera RAW 6.3 update for CS5.
    You just need to go to the Adobe website and download the latest version of Camera Raw (it may be past 6.3 now - just get the latest). Check the doco on the Adobe site as to whether this will also work with Elements v9.

Cheers.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks fillum & David H , much appreciated. Will check out the Adobe site.

Cheers fisher