Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What a waste of time.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a waste of time.

Like many people, I have received calls in the past from "technicians" offering to fix the "defect" in my computer online.

Today set the record of a call per day for the last 3 days, all are obviously VOIP phones that they are using, when asked where they were calling from, one claimed to be in Melbourne, one simply wouldn't answer and the third admitted to being in India ( coincidentally or not, they all had the same accent ) so if I get a similar call tomorrow I think I will sit down at the pc and pretend to type in the various commands they dictate to me just to see how much of their time I can waste before they figure out that I am having a lend of them.

I really can't understand how anyone can even consider the fact that the call / caller has anymore than 0.00001% chance of being anything other than a scammer.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can play a game... talk to them, keep them on the line as long as possible.
    Say ... someone's at the door or i have a call on the other phone etc.
    Keep interested but don't give any personal details.
    They work off KPIs based on calls per hour etc.
    Basically you screw the sales performance of the company.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mind games , Good one one Kym, Like your thinking , Hit E'm in the pocket
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I kept one on the phone the other day for 45 minutes. I said GREAT when he called, cause I had been intermittently getting the blue screen of death, well thats that I told him, and I was hoping he could help. I praised him up, saying how wonderful it was that he called. So we went through starting up the computer etc..chatted, then I said a few things like "sorry I don't understand, you want me to use internet explorer. I don't use that, how do I find it on my pc" etc. After nearly 40 minutes he was getting frustrated and said something about microsoft. To which I replied, Oh, you think I have a PC, I have an Apple Mac..and he hung up...hehehe
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Mind games , Good one one Kym, Like your thinking , Hit E'm in the pocket
    I'd like to kick them between the two front pockets
    Col

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colinbm View Post
    I'd like to kick them between the two front pockets
    Col
    The last call I had was from a lady girl female, does that method of retribution still work?
    Last edited by I @ M; 16-04-2011 at 8:25pm.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....... I just say someone is at the door and ask them to wait a moment and just put the phone down without hanging up...... I hang up the phone about 10 minutes later........

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pix View Post
    ....... I just say someone is at the door and ask them to wait a moment and just put the phone down without hanging up...... I hang up the phone about 10 minutes later........
    I like that one, 'cause although I'd like to, I can't be bothered taking the time to string them along.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    The last call I had was from a lady girl female, does that method of retribution still work?
    Beauty is in the eyes of the belolder.
    If you call beauty watching these people suffer, then go ahead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Mom had someone saying they were form Microsoft the other day, I my view, she did the right thing, and hung up straight away.

I would not trust anybody ring up un-requested to fix my computer. I couldn't think of anything worser than a 'Trojanen Virus', than allowing someone direct to access my computer indirectly.
    Br Barry
    Flickr

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] + 18-55WR + 50-200WR + Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 DC Macro
    Sigma APO 70-200 f2.8 EX DG OS HSM + Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bdparker View Post
    ...My Mom had someone saying they were form Microsoft the other day, I my view, she did the right thing, and hung up straight away...
    Good move! And DIDN'T waste have her time wasted.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't know why people waste time fooling around with pesty callers.

Personally, I'd rather spend my time on better ventures.

Just hang up at the first sign it's a tele-spammer.

western suburbs of melbourne as of 13/5/2010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a few of them recently, they even know my full name which makes me think that my telstra or internode details have been sold on, last one after telling me she was from microsoft and i had downloaded a virus hung up on me after i said that my fiance was a computer tech for the vic govt (which he is so i wasnt lying)
    Canon 50d - 300d backup - 28/135mm IS usm - 50mm 1.8 - ettl flash - Assortmant of other stuff I hardly use
    I think a photography class should be a requirement in all educational programs because it makes you see the world rather than just look at it. ~Author Unknown

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually get them telling me that I had qualified for an amazing holiday offer. I am excited and ask if I can take my girlfriend along. Of course you can they tell me.

Then I get very concerned and ask if they will tell my wife about my girlfriend, this goes through a few twists and turns before they hang up My wife is usually listening in the background and cracking up at some of the rubbish I am spouting off.

Formerly : Apollo62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These guys are after your personal information so follow the GIGO principle, Garbage In, Garbage Out. Give them all the information they want but just make it all up, account numbers etc. If you really want to hook them, tell them you'll give them your passwords if they will help make things easier and just make them up as you go along. These bozos will sit there thinking it's their lucky day but won't get anywhere. "What's that you say? The password is incorrect? It can't be because it's the one I use every day to log on, like I am now. Are you sure you're a technician from Microsoft or just one in training? Let me speak to your supervisor as you're obviously some kind of idiot" Even better, just say "Computer? What computer? I've never owned one"

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why waste the caller's time (and yours)?

Just tell the caller you're not interested and hang up straight away!

Formerly : Apollo62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    Why waste the caller's time (and yours)?

Just tell the caller you're not interested and hang up straight away!
    Because if enough of us do what I suggested, it might make such scam attempts a pointless exercise for those making such calls.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo62 View Post
    Because if enough of us do what I suggested, it might make such scam attempts a pointless exercise for those making such calls.
    Unlikely.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    Unlikely.
    Hmmm Imagine this. If every call these people make costs them 20 minutes of time for no result how long can they financially exist? infrastructure, wages, on costs (super etc) phone charges......If you hang up they lose little. If you can afford your time to engage them for 20 mins and they get nothing..well, not long before they close.

I am here for photography not politics but my opinion is tie them up for as long as possible for no reward and they will cease to exist. IMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'm too soft but from my point of view a lot of the bottom dweller staff that make the calls aren't the ones who run the show. They are usually poor as hell and its a job in a country where jobs are hard to find. They are just trying to survive. Same reason there is a lot more street crime etc in developing countries than there is on the streets of Double Bay. Not saying its right, but put yourselves in their shoes for a minute - you'd probably be willing to make these calls too if you lived over there and the commissions you earn were going to feed your family and give them a decent future. Just hang up on them and get on with your day.
    Last edited by abitfishy; 20-04-2011 at 2:14am.
    Have: Nikon D90; Tamron 17-50mm 2.8; Tokina 50-135mm 2.8; Tamron 18-270 'alphabet' lens; Nikkor 50mm 1.8; 1x Nikon SB-600; 3x Yongnuo YN560 flash, 1x Yongnuo YN465 flash.

Want: Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro;

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast