User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: First Impressions: 85mm f/1.4G on D7000 : WARNING - very large filesizes in this thread :

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Impressions: 85mm f/1.4G on D7000 : WARNING - very large filesizes in this thread :

These are a few first impressions of the D7000 (DX) with the 85mm f/1.4G.

There were no front or back focus issues at the focal lengths I was shooting with and these were all shot using autofocus. Mostly D-9, AF-C. Is my copy a little soft? I don't know... although that may be a benefit of a portrait lens.

Overall, I find this lens balances quite well on the D7000 which is marginally heavier than the D90. It is not as overly heavy as the FX mid-range f/2.8 zooms.

Build quality and handling are superb. It tends to nail the focus with the D7000, even at f/1.4

Online review sites are better than I am at describing the performance but I am overall quite happy with this!

Not exactly a flower lens, but these were both shot at f/1.4 and demonstrate how lovely the bokeh is.

Take about 2 metre step back and it can also make a food lens! Not really what it was designed to do... but also at f/1.4

This photo was taken at f/1.6 and not wide open by accident

As for an example of a bad photo... Even AF-C could not keep up with these two ducks circling each other at high speed. f/1.8, 1/4000 seconds at ISO 100. Also misfocussed on the duck's body and not the head.

One of the advantages of the D7000 is that at base ISO 100 and 1/8000s shutter speed, you have more leeway using the lens wide open in bright light and don't need a ND filter.
    Last edited by tanalasta; 16-04-2011 at 6:15pm.