User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: What MOD - photographing soccer teams 8 - 20 people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What MOD - photographing soccer teams 8 - 20 people

I have the opportunity again this year to photograph the local soccer(football) club.

I have 2/800 and a 400 AB

Could someone please suggest a modifier that would do the job. I'm thinking PLM (Paul C Buff - Parabolic Light Modifier - range from 46", 64" and 72"? which are a multi ribbed silver lined umbrella) but am unsure as to the size I need. There will be a varying number of players in each team, ranging from juniors with about 8 players through to seniors where the number may be closer to 20.

If the PLMs are considered the way to go should I be using the black back cover accessory to prevent the light going through the mod?

If the PLMs are not the way to go, then what?

I hope to take these outdoors, but if like last year will need to move into a crappy rundown stadium.

Help with MODs would be really helpful.

Cheers, Mal from Cessnock AU
    Last edited by mal from cessnock; 16-04-2011 at 11:36pm. Reason: typos
    Cheers, Mal

crafthouse images - my Flickr

Canon EOS 5DM3, 7D and a modest collection of "L" goodies

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please don't be discouraged from giving me your advice, but a friend just emailed this link...

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...=7-10046-10396

It will at least serve in giving you a run down on the PLMs I'm talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is easy as pie.

Biggest group I have shot was a few yrs ago at 220 students for a Year 12 formal. Used only 2 lights which were Bowens Gemini Esprit shot at 1/1 which is 500 watts, high up at 2.5m, into 2x 100cm or so brollies (reflectors not shoot throughs). I easily achieved the same as that link from Rob with a much more simple set up and only 2 lights.

In your case with a smaller group, 2 lights at 45 degrees on each side facing in, put it up to about 2m pointing 45 degrees down, and you are golden.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks JM - good to hear from someone who has done similar. What do you think of the PLMs?