User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: editing photos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up editing photos

I have started learning about editing photos , I want to edit photos for printing only. Therefore I need to know about resizing , Howerver, I have spent weeks , reading and watching videos about this , and they all speak the same editing language without being specifically about what is needed,and what for I mean the rules to follow etc. For example, resolution and pixel ,dots per inch,they all say about it in sumary short cuts etc. In order to resize a photo there is needs to be more specific iformation that is needed about it when to do custom resize photos. so if someone could assist me wiht this.I can start rezising my old photos. Thanks.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jent, I have moved your thread to the post processing help section and you should be able to get some answers here.

First up, a few questions --

Are you wanting to print images from a digital file from a camera or are you scanning old printed photos?

Do you want to make the printed images smaller or much larger than the original?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    easy, for print, keep your PPI above 240, preferably around 300.

As for resizing, do you mean cropping to fit an aspect ratio, ie 6x4, or resizing to make the file itself bigger or smaller (more or less megapixels)?

What software are you using? once we know that we can assist with more specific instructions
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew

I not sure about what is small or large from your point of view but I am referring anything from 10x 6 cm to a large
    31x 41cm. the photos are from my scaner . Thanks Jent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't enlarge them just for the sake of enlarging them. No point in chocking up your hard drive with larger files. Keep the ones you've scanned, and when you decide to print, use the Crop Tool (with values entered in the Height, Width and Resolution fields in the Options Bar) to resize them to the specific desired print size.

But there's often no need to keep the resized-for-print file long term. Once the print is back from the lab, and you're happy with it, delete that file from your hard drive; and keep the original master file only.
    Damien
    My site

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damien

Thanks, where about can I find this? to do.

Jent.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIck

what do you mean "what software" I mean my own cusotme size . from 10x 6 cm to a large
    31x 41cm.

Thanks
    Jent

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew
    where is the suggested page, 'post processing help section" ? where it has been moved to.

Jent

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jent View Post
    RIck

what do you mean "what software" I mean my own cusotme size . from 10x 6 cm to a large
    31x 41cm.

Thanks
    Jent
    I mean what software! Are you using photoshop, elements, paint shop pro? When we know what software you use to edit photos we can give more specific instructions on how to

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick

In answering your question I have Microsoft Digital Photo Imiga Photo Suite, in my Rezising dialogue box there are " keep proportion" and a box to tick, ?.. there are Image Size, inches. With and Height, under that there are Pixel Dimension with Height and With, and a Resolution box to tick, so it suggest to lock one setting and adjust the other , and Resample , and It suggest that if the size is changed it will compromise the quality, I want to custome size my photos, :your help is appreciated. i am this issue will help other digital new bigginers. Thanks