Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 35mm Primes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

35mm Primes

Halp!

I'm a little torn with what to do, so I'm coming to the AP knowledge base for some more opinions.

Back story:
    Went to a friends 30th on the weekend, said I'd take my camera and walk around and get some photos. I knew the lighting would be low, so I took my flash and the 50mm f/1.8, I have a 40D.

Needless to say, I was annoyed most of the night, 50mm on a crop sensor is a pain. I had my ISO cranked as well, and I have to say that the noise from the 40D isn't fantastic in the higher ISO's....

Which leads me here:
    Sell the 50mm, and get myself a prime at the sub 35mm mark
    Perhaps get something along the lines of the 16-35?

Open to more suggestions, I don't think it's time to sell the 40D and go full frame, not yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really see the point of selling the 50mm f/1.8. That lens is widely regarded as one of the best value lenses around, and you aren't going to get much for it second hand, as they can be bought for about $100 new. You may as well hold on to it for portrait shooting, as it will be roughly equivalent to an 85mm prime on a crop sensor, which happens to be a very good focal length for portrait shots.

I'd personally sell something else that would actually help bring in the few/several hundred dollars required for a new lens, or else just knuckle down and save hard.
    Last edited by ElectricImages; 13-04-2011 at 10:20am.
    --=3 In Veritas Lux E=--
    Bodies: Canon EOS 5D Mk II, Canon EOS 550D
    Lenses: EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Strobist: 2 x Speedlite 580EXII, 4 x Yongnuo RF-603 Radio Tranceivers, Yongnuo ST-E2 IR Transmitter
    3 x Manfrotto Light Stands, 2 x Softboxes, 2 x Bounce Brollies
    Tripod: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT, PH-50 Panhead

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bax View Post
    Halp!

I'm a little torn with what to do, so I'm coming to the AP knowledge base for some more opinions.

Back story:
    Went to a friends 30th on the weekend, said I'd take my camera and walk around and get some photos. I knew the lighting would be low, so I took my flash and the 50mm f/1.8, I have a 40D.

Needless to say, I was annoyed most of the night, 50mm on a crop sensor is a pain. I had my ISO cranked as well, and I have to say that the noise from the 40D isn't fantastic in the higher ISO's....

Which leads me here:
    Sell the 50mm, and get myself a prime at the sub 35mm mark
    Perhaps get something along the lines of the 16-35?

Open to more suggestions, I don't think it's time to sell the 40D and go full frame, not yet.
    When I had a 40D, I sold it a little while ago, I used to use a Leica R 35/1.4 on it. It worked a treat. Not that I'm recommending that specifically, the Leica is a bit esoteric to put it mildly, but the 40D has an excellent focusing screen/viewfinder and there is nothing stopping you using 'Alt' lenses on it, such as Contax, Olympus, Nikon etc. You are not stuck with Canon or Canon mount lenses like Sigma etc. Adapters for Olympus, Nikon, Contax, M42 etc are quite cheap and readily available on Evilbay.

JJ

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks - agreed I may as well keep the 50mm prime, it doesn't take up any room. I bought it second hand myself for 90 dollars or so a bit over a year ago, so I'm not really fussed as far as value goes.

But I'll definitely look at primes that will fit.

315 AUD + postage for a Canon 35mm f/2.0 at the moment.

John how much was the Leica lens? I'll get searching, I think even 20mm is sufficient for a generic snapshot lens.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John how much was the Leica lens? I'll get searching, I think even 20mm is sufficient for a generic snapshot lens.
    No, don't go searching for the Leica, they are quite expensive. I think the going rate is $1.5-2K.

Like I said, I wasn't suggesting this particular lens, just pointing out that there are plenty more options than Canon, especially when you have a crop camera like the 40D which actually gives you more flexibility. The Leica lens I mentioned can't be used on my 1ds2 or 5d2 for example.

JJ

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you are doingf landscapes then a 50 isnt gunna cut it really. the WA will do great... but! note that its aperture will be smaller than f1.8 and wont work as well in low light conditions more than likely.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You lost me David.

Landscapes I've got the Sigma 10-20. Really just need to get away from the 50mm because as a general lens for taking photos at a party, I had to keep walking 20m back to get everyone in frame, by which point they'd start walking towards me haha

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Double Post.
    Last edited by Bax; 13-04-2011 at 11:39am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a think , and a good look about the net, at one of the 24-70 f2.8's as a general walkabout lens. Will open wide enough for indoors, and zoom in for portraits. I have used my 40D w sigma 24-70 indoors with my 430 EXII just on bounce, and achieved good results. Will even shoot OK without the flash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PH005 View Post
    Have a think , and a good look about the net, at one of the 24-70 f2.8's as a general walkabout lens. Will open wide enough for indoors, and zoom in for portraits. I have used my 40D w sigma 24-70 indoors with my 430 EXII just on bounce, and achieved good results. Will even shoot OK without the flash.
    Wouldn't recommend this lens due to the OP's budget requirements. A 24-70 f/2.8 will be considerably more than the few hundred dollars that they sound comfortable with spending. Also, for less money, they could probably get a 17-55 f/2.8, which would give them equivalent lens speed and wider focal lengths on a crop body.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I needed a wider lens to take groups of products in my small studio, and money was tight, so I bought the Canon 28mm F2.8 from DCW for $300.00.
    While there is just a smidgen of CA, if you pixel peep, in very high contrast edges, it takes very good photos with good colour and clarity, and is quite sharp too.

I don't think you'll notice a lot of difference between the 50mm and 35mm, and this is why I went for the 28mm.

While I haven't tried it on people yet, the focal distance seems ideal to use in small rooms.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You lost me David.

Landscapes I've got the Sigma 10-20. Really just need to get away from the 50mm because as a general lens for taking photos at a party, I had to keep walking 20m back to get everyone in frame, by which point they'd start walking towards me haha
    if the 50 mm is too long you'll want something shorter right? mabe walk around with your siggy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crop sensor, bad ISO and slow lens and dim interiors are not good combos. I have a 5D2 and I can tell you that using a 50 1.4 on that in a dim room with a bit of natural light was a struggle! at ISO 3200 I could hardly get 1/50 shutter speed.

If you get the 35 2.0, you can probably get away with shooting at 1/30 handheld. f2 is only slightly slower than f1.8. Compared to shoot the 50 1.8, you can shoot at a slower shutter speed and reduce the ISO, which will help with the grain.

However, the 35 (50 equiv) may not be wide enough to work the room, so you might want to investigate a 28 f1.8, which is slightly more expensive than the 35 f2, but will allow you to shoot wider, and slightly slower shutter speed again to reduce the ISO.

hope that helps.
    Criticism & Suggestions welcome
    A pretty standard Canon setup covering the 17-200 range.
    Sigma 50 1.4
    Various film cameras

My Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arubaato/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry I should have taken out "slow lens" because none of these lens referred to above can be called slow.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone.

PH005, thanks for the suggestion - I used to own a 28-75 Tamron, wasn't entirely happy with that focal range - but I am lacking a lot of range since selling it.

Really I've only got 10-20, 50mm, 70-200. So from 20-70 I'm lacking.

At this stage I'm happy with a prime, but the mind boggles. The 35 f/2.0 doesn't seem to have that great reviews - I'm guessing I could drop down to a 28 f/2.8, especially if I'm combining it with a flash. Tough....

Maybe I could save my money for a 24-105 f/4 IS

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ving View Post
    if the 50 mm is too long you'll want something shorter right? mabe walk around with your siggy?
    In hindsight it probably would have been better, I could have made it work, I just wanted the 50 to help with some background blur.

Quote Originally Posted by arubaato View Post
    ...........hope that helps.
    Indeed it does, some thinking to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tamron 17-50 f2.8

if you "took your flash" i'm assuming you have either a 430 or 530 external flash?

i use my 450d, tammy 17-50 2.8 and 430ex whenever i go to parties. I find it does the trick at 2.8 and the flash eliminates the need for the fast speed. and for sub $400 who can complain?
    Last edited by tmd77; 13-04-2011 at 1:01pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have the 28mm 1.8 and i like it on my crop sensor. gives almost a normal 50mm FF FOV.
    Canon 7D, 550D, 1N HS, EOS 88, 17-55 2.8, 18-200mm, 10-22mm, 28mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 28-105
    Canon AE-1, 50mm, Nikon FM2(n), 50mm, 24-70mm, Tamron 300mm
    Mamiya RB 67 Pro-S 90mm C, 180mm C
    Mamiya M645 1000s, 35mm C, 80mm C, 150mm C, 210 mm C
    430EX II, Benro Tripod and Monopod
    and a bunch of toy cameras!
    -Tim

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, food for thought. Australian dollar is good, but it still might be worth looking for second hands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.

I have the 35mm f2.0 and use it on my 450d as a 50mm equivolent. Its a noisy little bugger when it focuses, but it is very sharp. Its small and lite too which is great. I have to say I like the combination for that reason alone. Its a good lens, not brilliant, not world class, but good.

But, if you are having to use high ISOs and are not that happy about the noise your getting then you'ld probably want to go bigger than f2.0 wouldn't you?

plus, if you're into your background blur (bokeh?) then the 35mm is ok, but it doesn't have the creamy blur the sigma 50 1.4 has; but it betters the 50mm 1.8 I think. Theres the 35mm 1.4 L series lens too, but its a little pricey.
    best regards

Chris.

flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast