Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darey View Post
    I'm going on Saturday.
    Give me a buzz on Saturday and we can meet up somewhere...

...at the Canon stall, of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone wants to meet me, I will be in the APPA area for most of the days.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John,
    I'll keep an eye out for you.
    Cheers
    Darey

Nikon user, Thick skinned and wanting to improve, genuine C & C welcomed.

Photographs don't lie ! - Anonymous Liar

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be happy to say hello, Will.

If I can find you, that is...

I unfortunately have no idea where the APPA judging is being held. The PMA site is really not all that useful and I couldn't find info on where and when it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The APPA judging is at stand 401 "APPA Judging Area"

Which is next to the Momento stand (443).

There will be 3 judging rooms with the APPA judging area.

If you register with PMA, they send you an official PMA program, which contains a map of the expo.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks William.

I'll keep an eye out.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got back from PMA.

Lots of people there today.

While an AP meet of sorts wasn't arranged, we ran into Darey, Fantasyphoto, Leanne and Longshots.

Will, it was nice to meet you, albeit briefly; sorry we didn't get more time to chat, but it looked a bit chaotic at the APPAs.

A guy I know, who had a few entries in this year's APPAs, got upgraded to gold, so he was happy about that.

I finally bought a splash guard for my camera. I happened across the L&P stall and picked up a Think Tank Hydrophobia 70-200. When I eventually get back into seascapes, it'll come in very handy.

I didn't look at much gear, as I'm not really in the market for anything; but I did check out Canon's latest 400/2.8 (not yet available for sale). It was significantly lighter than the previous version, and is quite hand-holdable (for me, at least); the older version definitely needs a monopod.

I had a bit of a chat with Ken Duncan re the state of his rallying against the stupid anti-photography bureaucracy, and it's good to hear that he's making some progress and that changes (for the good) are a'comin'.

There was a lot happening at PMA as usual -- too much to absorb in one day, but one day of walking around was enough. Hardly sat down all day.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops.. wasn't aware of this thread b4 I started a new one.
    Anyways.. I was there this morning and again later in the arvo.
    Found the Peter Coulson Hasselblad workshop and Rocco Ancora Nikon one pretty good. They're both presenting tomorrow again.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went Friday which lessened the crowd. Still, getting close to some of the presentations was difficult. I too enjoyed Peter Coulson with the hasselblad. His instruction provided some great learning, even if fridays model appeared bored. I saw Rocco on the huddle stage. While the information about how he set up images, the second half of his talk concentrated on trying to sell the Elinchrom Quadra RX. I was so disappointed on the sell that I didn't stay to see the part of the presentation on posing.

I spent a couple of hours watching the APPARENT judging the the open wedding and learnt more when the judges were arguing over s ores than when they agreed straight away. There wasn't anything new and outstanding but still good to talk to the suppliers face to face.
    Vince

Space; The Final Frontier

C & C encouraged on all images

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't as crowded as I expected.

I went on Sunday with Silkdiver and Scotty plus my friend Glenn. One Nikon person to 3 Canon people. I thought it was fun when I encouraged Scotty to get his 7D and Canon white 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom out and shoot away during the Nikon wedding photography presentation.

To balance things off, bumped into Tony (maccaroneski) and Cynthia. Tony showing of his new Fufifilm X100.

I have a great chat to a couple of the exhibitors including Zac from Ken Done's thingie and finally got a "I am a photographer, not a criminal" tee-shirt but was disappointed they had run out of the "I am a criminal, not a photographer" ones. Ken was off playing elsewhere at the time.

I had a long chat with the a rep from the Olympus stand who was looking after the professional gear and talking to him about Olympus' "interesting" concept of marketing and the forthcoming major announcement on June 30 re the Pen E-P3 and high-quality 12mm f/2 prime which will have mechanical manual focus (as well as AF). They seem to be sticking by their claim that there new series of lenses will have the fastest AF for contrast detection in the world (by a long shot) and it will be very competitive with any AF system. The AF changes are built into the lens so will do just fine with older PEN bodies.

I asked a few questions about there forthcoming products and got a few very good 'off the record' winks and nudges to indicate I won't be disappointed. My poor old E-P1 is looking pretty battered these days.

Also a good chat with a Nikon rep about the D7000 et al.

I spent more money than I expected picking up the fore-mentioned tee-shirt, an 8-cell charger, two 6x3m backdrops and adding lots to my wish list.
    Last edited by peterb666; 27-06-2011 at 1:36pm.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    Just got back from PMA.

Lots of people there today.

While an AP meet of sorts wasn't arranged, we ran into Darey, Fantasyphoto, Leanne and Longshots.

Will, it was nice to meet you, albeit briefly; sorry we didn't get more time to chat, but it looked a bit chaotic at the APPAs.
    Really sorry I didnt have more time to chat. Basically I didnt see any of the presentations during the trade show. I was too busy judging, panel chairing, and rarely sitting in as an audience member when my own images were judged (no I dont judge my own images). A very hectic and busy 3 days of judging - each day 12 hours a day solid. Over 3200 entries judged. Not sure where to post my winning entries on AP ? Any advice/guidance would be welcome

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post
    Really sorry I didnt have more time to chat. Basically I didnt see any of the presentations during the trade show. I was too busy judging, panel chairing, and rarely sitting in as an audience member when my own images were judged (no I dont judge my own images). A very hectic and busy 3 days of judging - each day 12 hours a day solid. Over 3200 entries judged.
    No worries. I knew how busy it was there, and when I spotted you earlier in the day you disappeared with someone.

It looked frantic.

Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post
    Any advice/guidance would be welcome
    Take a holiday. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too gave my credit car too much of a workout.

After encouraging Peter to get the battery charger, I bought a pack of batteries (I already have the Powerex 4 battery charger), Jo talked me into the OnOne software package (at a discounted $250), and I bought a LCD Loupe after I had a play and saw the amazing difference it makes.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    I too gave my credit car too much of a workout.

After encouraging Peter to get the battery charger, I bought a pack of batteries (I already have the Powerex 4 battery charger), Jo talked me into the OnOne software package (at a discounted $250), and I bought a LCD Loupe after I had a play and saw the amazing difference it makes.
    Gee, I am relieved that I went to play with Xenedis after lunch rather than return with you guys but I have a big shopping list for the future (smoke machine, stands and backdrop rod, graphics tablet, new laptop, replacement Olympus Pen and 12mm lens, fisheye lens for the Nikon, divorce from the financial controller...).

As for Jo, yes she is a bad influence. Knowing she is always short on cash, I buy 2 backdrops and go in to negotiate a discount for her with the seller claiming "referred business". She gets her backdrop free and I didn't get any discount.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    Gee, I am relieved that I went to play with Xenedis after lunch rather than return with you guys but I have a big shopping list for the future (smoke machine, stands and backdrop rod, graphics tablet, new laptop, replacement Olympus Pen and 12mm lens, fisheye lens for the Nikon, divorce from the financial controller...).

As for Jo, yes she is a bad influence. Knowing she is always short on cash, I buy 2 backdrops and go in to negotiate a discount for her with the seller claiming "referred business". She gets her backdrop free and I didn't get any discount.
    ... and she bummed a free ride on the tram... riding on the wave of my cred...

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bumped into many friends on Saturday from AP, camera club and also professional and trade colleagues which kept us busy but I did manage to find AP member Jeff Servaas (PROtog) who sold me a new charger and some batteries.

Later on Saturday evening after the PMA show closed we attended a talk by Murray Fredericks who shared some insight into his award winning ABC documentary titled “Salt” which featured stunning images and time lapse sequences of the vast open areas of Lake Eyre http://www.abc.net.au/arts/stories/s2855662.htm

Murray has also been working on time lapse sequences of the northern lights from a base in Greenland which are absolutely incredible with the final production due to be released for television soon.
    Last edited by Fantasyphoto; 29-06-2011 at 10:26am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to reply to this post with just the bare details that I attended the PMA show on Saturday and thought it was quite good but, seeing that others are fessing up about their purchases I might do the same.
    I had a good time and met Paul (Racoon) & Lynn, FantasyPhoto, Leanne and Xenedis & Xenedette during my meandering around the show.
    I found the Peter Carlson (Hasselblad stand) workshop on "Single light studio shooting" most interesting and informative and enjoyed playing with the big telephoto lenses (400mm f2.8) on the Nikon stand.
    Now for the confessions, I weakened and finally bought the light "Travel" tripod I have wanted for my next trip to Europe, a Benro travel Angel. I also spotted a "Battery Grip" for my D7000 and couldn't believe the price, $60 when the Nikon equivalent is $309. My immediate reaction was this is too good to be true but also thought that for $60 it may be worth a try anyway. The Photoolex salesman let me try the grip on my camera and it worked a treat so I bought it. I have used the Grip a few times since buying it, with 6 AA rechargeable batteries in it, and it works great.
    I'm glad I went to PMA this year.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darey View Post
    I found the Peter Carlson (Hasselblad stand) workshop on "Single light studio shooting" most interesting and informative
    Hmm, that would have been good. One of the things I am interested in atm.

enjoyed playing with the big telephoto lenses (400mm f2.8) on the Nikon stand.
    That was great fun - especially since I had a gaggle of Canon users following me around the place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on my way til our flight out of Hobart was cancelled on Thursday morning due to the Ash cloud, and we couldn't get one til saturday . Longshots, thankyou for confirming next year is in Melbourne - this one I will not miss
    Rachel
    Canon 50D/ 5DMK2; 24-70 f2.8L; 18-200 IS (kit); 50 f1.8 II; Sigma 10-20; 430 EXII; Lowepro bags; plus other accessories
    LR3, CS5 & PSE6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those that are interested in more of Peter Coulson's teachings. He is presenting a few courses in Sydney over the coming months through a studio called Memtem. Memtem Courses

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12