User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: SB900 beyond reach, so SB700 or Sigma EF-610 DG Super or Nissin Di866?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SB900 beyond reach, so SB700 or Sigma EF-610 DG Super or Nissin Di866?

Hi guys,
    I have an SB600 but want a second off camera flash compatible with the Nikon CLS.

I can't stretch the budget to an SB900 so the alternatives seem to be the Sigma 610DG Super, the Nissin di866 or considering its not that much more from HK, the SB 700. Ebay prices seem to only be a difference of about $70 between the Nissin and the SB700 with the Sigma in between.

I know someone is going to ask what I want to do with it, well, no particular plans but would like to use it in a small indoor studio using the SB600 and it as my main flashes and I'll be adding a cheap Yongnuo non-ttl as a background flash in its 'S2' mode (I think).

I get the impression they can all act as master to trigger other CLS flashes (but how successfully?), they can all act as slaves and they all have similar zoom capabilities (with the SB700 I think a tad better).

The Nikon specs mention the SB700 has a 'condensed' Master function, but doesn't go into detail in what way it is 'condensed'. Any ideas?

Opinions (particular first hand) would be great.

Thanks
    Have: Nikon D90; Tamron 17-50mm 2.8; Tokina 50-135mm 2.8; Tamron 18-270 'alphabet' lens; Nikkor 50mm 1.8; 1x Nikon SB-600; 3x Yongnuo YN560 flash, 1x Yongnuo YN465 flash.

Want: Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro;

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The SB700 is a good step up from the SB600 ( I have a 600 and and 900). I would suggest either getting a second 600, if you want to get into it quickly, cause learning to use them will be easier as they are both the same, rather than learn how two different menu sets work.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't mind buying from overseas the SB900 can be bought from the USA from around $470.
    Attitude is everything!

Cheers, Paul

Nikon

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys, thanks for that.

Rick, I want a step up in functionality from the 600 as if I'm going to get a second flash I want it to at least be able to trigger the Sb600 as a slave and I'm under the impression the 600 doesn't have a master function to trigger another SB###.

Paul, I was refering to OS prices! Still a tad out of reach unfortunately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sell the sb600, get a sb900 as your 'main', then get some cheap manual flashes

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Nissin Di622 Mk II for my Nikon and a Nissin Di466 Four Thirds for my olympus. I am more than happy with these and they cost next to nothing on eBay ($90 for the 466 and $160 for the Di622 Mk II). The Di622 Mk II acts as a slave in the Nikon Commander system or can be used as an optical slave.

I would have loved the Nissin Di866 - from memory it is around $240 on eBay and does slow sync and has a wonderful colour LCD on the back to help run the thing. If I get another flash for my Nikon, guess what it will be?

BTW, I would have liked the SB-600 and couldn't justify the cost of the SB-700 however the price has come down since it was released.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you already know the SB600 cant be used as a commander/master, its a slave/remote only when off camera.
    If you dont want to go the expense of an SB900 go online to flea bay and check out the SB800 it will do all you want, I dont think the SB700 has the same features.