Thread: Aftermarket Batteries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aftermarket Batteries

Hi all

Another question batteries

My genuine battery that came with my camera is an LP-E8 7.2V 1120mAh 8.1Wh(Li-ion)

Phottix branded aftermarket are 7.4V instead of 7.2V

Is that safe to use? or should I find one that says 7.2V the mAh is 1400 but that shouldn't be a problem because that is the capacity
    Last edited by ricktas; 06-04-2011 at 7:56am.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Tie

Firstly - a base voltage difference of 0.2 volts should not make any difference to the operation of the camera
    Over the operational life [charged to flat] the battery will very likely go from nominal 7.2 down to 4.8 volts, so the camera needs to be able to work with this voltage range, and the amperage increase from 1100 to 1400 will work to your advantage anyway

Hope this helps
    Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have nothing to add to OzzieTraveller's terrific explanation - except my admiration, agreement and endorsement that that is exactly the right advice.
    --=3 In Veritas Lux E=--
    Bodies: Canon EOS 5D Mk II, Canon EOS 550D
    Lenses: EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Strobist: 2 x Speedlite 580EXII, 4 x Yongnuo RF-603 Radio Tranceivers, Yongnuo ST-E2 IR Transmitter
    3 x Manfrotto Light Stands, 2 x Softboxes, 2 x Bounce Brollies
    Tripod: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT, PH-50 Panhead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Throughly agree with previous comments, I noticed the same variation you did, however I have been using the Phoetex battery for quite sometime, no problem, in fact could be better than OE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certain aftermarket batteries works as good as the original, some better, some worst.

My 500D aftermarket works better! I am able to take more shots in 1 full charge.

1D's aftermarket is just as good as my original Canon - BUT it doesn't do the smart features like how many shots it has been done etc.

NEX5 aftermarket is rubbish! The original Sony battery can continuously taking video for 30 minutes without overheating itself and cause the camera to shut down. The aftermarket shut down itself after 4 mins