Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Star Trail help please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Star Trail help please

Hi Guys

I am heading to Kingaroy during Easter and hope to get some clear skies and stars to try something myself. I have never done a star trail so need some basic to advanced help if you would please…

1. Do I take the foreground during dusk (or when there’s some light available? In other words will the foreground and background be completely different composition?

2. For the actual stars, do I just compose for the stars without any foreground but just the sky?

3. If the foreground and background are separate compositions at separate times etc. how I then merge them to give a natural look? Or is it that the foreground/background has to be same (or similar compositions)

4. What lens do I use for the foreground and background? I have the 18-105, 24-70 and 70-300 on a Nikon D90 body.

5. For pp do I use one of those softwares like startrail.exe to merge them together or can I do it in cs5.

Sorry for the real long list and would really appreciate your help please.
    Cheers DJ

I am a keen learner and always seeking improvement tips from others

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have any answers for you DJ but i'd love to try this also.
    jj

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DJ,

Only some quick answers to get you on your way

1. Over Easter it will be a full moon this will provide enough light. But, your trails will be limited to only the brights of stars. Moonless are the best for startrails

2. Set your focus to infinity and have something interesting in the foreground. Google is your friend for some ideas

3. You can do both and will have to experiment with different techniques. But if you are new at startrails try and get it without to much Photoshop intervention. Light painting the foreground is another option.

4. Use the fastest and widest lens.

5. Startrails.exe is the easiest to use.

Hope this helps and good luck
    Jase

Comments and critique always welcome.

Flickr

Stuff Canon 5D MK II, Canon 30d, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100mm Macro, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 17-70mm