Thread: Who uses a tablet ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who uses a tablet ?

Interested to see who A) uses a tablet and
    B) do you think it is a step forward from using mouse/keyboard

i have been thinking about getting one and would like to see what others think that have one as to there real world use.

Simon.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A tablet is a poor substitute for a mouse, but this can just be a personal preference.

I use a tablet consistently for PS work because it does give you MUCH better control than a mouse, including pressure sensitivity, but I can't stand them for normal use, emails, moving files around etc etc.

I have both connected to my computer so I use whichever is better for the job.

JJ

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks John, i too am only looking at it for pp work for the exact reasons you outlined. Nice to hear others thoughts on it. I have heard of a few people that have bought one and for what ever reason didn't like it and so there fore didn't use it. Just looking for others views on the matter.

Thanks again
    Simon.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snappysi View Post
    Thanks John, i too am only looking at it for pp work for the exact reasons you outlined. Nice to hear others thoughts on it. I have heard of a few people that have bought one and for what ever reason didn't like it and so there fore didn't use it. Just looking for others views on the matter.

Thanks again
    Simon.
    They are brilliant for any kind of PS work, dust removal is much faster for example. Mine is the large, A4 unit from Wacom. Money well spent IMHO.

JJ

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Wacom for most Photoshop work and sometimes in Lightroom if I'm playing with a brush. It doesn't replace a mouse by any stretch but I love it for editing and wouldn't be without it.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Photoshop, Illustrator, etc a tablet is a must for me. A mouse gives next to no control in comparison.

I have a cheap Wacom (6x4" or so) I'll upgrade to something a bit swisher when I have some spare cash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Wacom Intuous3 - have to say it's brilliant. I worked off a Wacom Grapphire for many years (as long as I've been using photoshop, actually) and I know that for just about everything, stylus/tablets are perfect. They make workflow in PS a heck of a lot faster, especially with pressure sensitivity.
    [- Instagram -]

Nikon Slave... (D90 & D300S)
    -- CCs extremely welcome, further editing of my photos is not. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you spend a decent amount of time with photoshop, a wacom tablet would be a great investment.
    kevinLi - Melbourne fashion, advertising photographer/assistant

kevinLi Portfolio | kevinLi Blog | 500px

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 12x12 from working with AutoCAD in the 90's. I tried to use it a couple of times since then in PS but because of it age the drivers were not 100% compatible with Vista and win7.
    i am considering getting a newer and much smaller one, because as the about post have said, it's soooo much easer to manipulate photos in PS (real brush stroke can be achieved).
    but I also agree, It will not replace my mouse.
    Also some tablets may not handle two screen extended mode.... because I use a laptop, I do all my photo editing on the calibrated external screen (which my old tablet hated me doing, I couldn't calibrate the tablet to use the other screen)
    Last edited by bdparker; 10-04-2011 at 8:57pm.
    Br Barry
    Flickr

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] + 18-55WR + 50-200WR + Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 DC Macro
    Sigma APO 70-200 f2.8 EX DG OS HSM + Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use a tablet as well, for photo editing. For other general stuff, browsing websites etc, I continue to use a mouse. One thing I do hate is the touchpad on laptops, even my laptop has its own mouse.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did use a 6x4 size tablet for a while for PS but found it too small to be as accurate as I would like. So it now resides in a draw a lot of the time, unless I think it is absolutely necessary. Having said that if I had an A4 size tablet and the desk real estate to put it (currently have a laptop on the desk) I would use it a heck of a lot more.
    Canon 50D - Zuiko 28/2.8 50/1.8 100/2.8 - Tokina 11-16/2.8

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the feedback... it would seem that if the space is available going the larger of the available sizes is best...food for thought indeed....

I see most people have the Wacom brand... is there any reason for that or are there other brands worth considering ?

I have never used one myself so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Simon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you are into digital art you actually don't want a large size tablets, something in the medium range with A5 drawing surface is more then enough for photography work. Your arm would get tired much quicker because of the larger strokes with a large tablet.

Most places recommend Wacom and it seems to be the standard for tablets, I am sure there are many other brands but Wacom seems to be the most popular.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Bamboo Touch and it took me while to get used to it however the only setback I had was zoom features like wheel mouse where I normally use to zoom in and out. Otherwise it great for others.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that bigger isn't necessarily better. I have a Bamboo Fun which isn't very big (medium size in their range I think). But I have actually scaled it down a little so I don't use the full area because I find it easier in a slightly smaller workspace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, don't go too big - my little one is hooked up to a 27" screen and it's still very useable. It works on screen pixels, so if you need more accuracy you just zoom in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cammada View Post
    I use Bamboo Touch and it took me while to get used to it however the only setback I had was zoom features like wheel mouse where I normally use to zoom in and out. Otherwise it great for others.

If you meant zooming in photoshop, you can easily just hold Z down and drag your pen left or right to zoom in and out. If you hold Z instead of taping it will automatically return back to your previous tool after you zoom. So you could be using your brush, want to zoom in, hold Z drag, let go and you will be using brush as soon as you let go of Z.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Wacom Intuos4 medium size tablet. that is the most popular tablet of them all. Fits nicely in my laptop bag too.

At the Photoshop World conference in las vegas last year, nobody could comprehend the fact that I didnt already have one. Everyone just assumes you do. Its a tool of the trade.

I do pop it away and use the mouse for everyday activities though. like most others above
    Brodie Butler (Perth, WA)
    Photographer / Filmmaker / Retoucher
    Canon & Elinchrom user

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo also uses a Wacom Intuous3 medium. very useful for PP work accurately and more easily. However, you will find that at first you will go between it and the mouse interchangeably but eventually use it more consistently for PP. Do not throw out the mouse - it is still used for virtually everything else.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Formerly : Apollo62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never use anything else but a tablet (Wacom Bamboo) for my photo editing as a mouse is just far too cumbersome and slow. I even prefer it for general computer operations as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast