User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Canon 5d MK2 first impressions

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    23 Nov 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,086
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Canon 5d MK2 first impressions

    I got my first full frame camera i also have a 7d as well. I am both happy and disappointed with it. The first thing is noticed is that I missed the 7d 19 point auto focus system like the 1d mark 3 has and the different screens like single point AF etc. This is a big drawback for me. I find it useful for macro work esp. the zone AF in Al SERVO mode is great gor moving objects. I have decided to use the 7d for macro work so there is less to crop.

    I am happy with the noise performance of the 5d mk2 I intend to do a lot of night shooting and timescapes so this is useful esp. predawn and after sunset.

    Another point is the external flash can only be used on board without a trigger cannot use it like the 7d but I do not see that as a major drawback for me as I do not do a lot of portrait or studio work.

    I guess these are my first impressions of the 5D MARK 2 at a glance cannot wait to use it this weekend.
    Dwarak Calayampundi

    Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    30 Oct 2006
    Location
    Bris Vegas
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had to weigh up all those points before i bought it

    i find the 7 has its advantages over the 5 and vice versa...

    the thing i like the most is that the 5 makes all my lenses different...!

    i have a bag full of new lenses now

    M
    www.pbase.com/mcphotographics loooots of pictures!
    hmmm Eq list... 1D II, 5D II, 7D, 100-400 LIS F4.5-5.6, 70-200 F2.8L, 135 F2, 85 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8L, 16-35 F2.8L, 420EX, 580EX II x2 ST-E2 Cir polar filters and much much more all in a neat back pack that kills my back!

    Adobe CS5
    Week 16 Sheep Winner
    If you have a question about car / action / sports photography or Canon Cameras PM me...

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    14 Nov 2009
    Location
    Roleystone
    Posts
    1,114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to your review as I am tossing up between the 2...I keep swinging back to the 7D
    Imagine a world without photography... one could only imagine. - Berenice Abbott

    I Shoot Canon


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    04 Apr 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    552
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2261 View Post
    Looking forward to your review as I am tossing up between the 2...I keep swinging back to the 7D
    The "InterWeb" is full of reviews, comments, opinions, comparisons etc about these cameras. At the end of the day they are different and you either want a Full Frame camera or a crop camera. That really is a big difference because it completely changes the way your lenses work and the results you get. The 5D2 has plenty of disadvantages, IMHO, but it is still FF and this has it's advantages (and disavantages depending on your needs).

    JJ

  5. #5
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    23 Nov 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,086
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2261 View Post
    Looking forward to your review as I am tossing up between the 2...I keep swinging back to the 7D
    It just depends on what you want to use the camera for really while the 7d as I have used it I see it as a more versatile camera while the 5d mark 2 is prob better for landscapes esp in low light conditions and handles noise better the 7d has more features like moving the auto focus points through the view finder the autofocus points are bigger as well than the 5d mk 2 which is good in 7d. I personally think the 7d is more fun like it is packed with a lot of gizmos which you will love if you like fiddleing around with the settings.

  6. #6
    Ausphotography Regular JimD's Avatar
    Join Date
    16 Mar 2009
    Location
    South Coast
    Posts
    1,286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be using the 5DMKII for macro over the 7D.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    f o t o w o r x

    People taking the time out to give me CC is always very much appreciated

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    03 Aug 2010
    Location
    In the hills north of Perth
    Posts
    1,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent a while trying to figure out whether I wanted a 7D or a 5D MkII and eventually chose the 7D because it best suited what I like to shoot. Recently, though, I had a chance to pick up a 5D MkII second hand and thought it would be a good opportunity to try out full frame without spending a huge amount of money. So, after using both I've found that I love the 7D - it's far and away my favourite camera and always my first choice to grab - however, as others have said, the 5D excels for landscapes (I gave it a good workout at my workshop in Albany) and low light work at high ISOs (though I've found autofocus in low light can be a bit sucky ). The 5D has also given me a new enthusiasm for the 24-105mm L lens - they are a match made in heaven!
    Michaela

    Comments and critique always welcome and appreciated.

    My photos on Flickr
    Canon 5D Mk III | 7D | Assorted Canon Lenses


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    14 Nov 2009
    Location
    Roleystone
    Posts
    1,114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarak View Post
    It just depends on what you want to use the camera for really while the 7d as I have used it I see it as a more versatile camera while the 5d mark 2 is prob better for landscapes esp in low light conditions and handles noise better the 7d has more features like moving the auto focus points through the view finder the autofocus points are bigger as well than the 5d mk 2 which is good in 7d. I personally think the 7d is more fun like it is packed with a lot of gizmos which you will love if you like fiddleing around with the settings.
    I find I use the LCD viewfinder to focus & I turn on the long exposure noise reduction now this should solve the noise probs in long exp ???

    I think I will probably end up getting the 7D because of a very complicated documentation by Tony explaining in detail why the 7D is best for birds & if you need to crop at all. I have to say I have not made a mistake yet by following his advice

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    16 Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my 5D mark 2 sometime ago. After that I've complained about the AF and the slow fps. But I still love it. I hardly ever do action photography, so the AF and fps is no big deal. I also cannot afford having a 5D2 and a 7D at the same time. I think the 5D2 is an excellent camera, and will fulfill my digital work for many years to come.

    Overtime I have learnt that there is no such thing as a perfect camera, or perfect camera bag for that matter. So I think one has to compromise on something.
    Criticism & Suggestions welcome
    A pretty standard Canon setup covering the 17-200 range.
    Sigma 50 1.4
    Various film cameras

    My Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arubaato/

  10. #10
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    23 Nov 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,086
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arubaato View Post
    I got my 5D mark 2 sometime ago. After that I've complained about the AF and the slow fps. But I still love it. I hardly ever do action photography, so the AF and fps is no big deal. I also cannot afford having a 5D2 and a 7D at the same time. I think the 5D2 is an excellent camera, and will fulfill my digital work for many years to come.

    Overtime I have learnt that there is no such thing as a perfect camera, or perfect camera bag for that matter. So I think one has to compromise on something.
    I can second your thoughts. Having both these bodies is great and I know I do not need to upgrade for a while.

  11. #11
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    23 Nov 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,086
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2261 View Post
    I find I use the LCD viewfinder to focus & I turn on the long exposure noise reduction now this should solve the noise probs in long exp ???

    I think I will probably end up getting the 7D because of a very complicated documentation by Tony explaining in detail why the 7D is best for birds & if you need to crop at all. I have to say I have not made a mistake yet by following his advice
    Interesting you should mention long exposure noise reduction there is a downside to that you will have to wait For the same time as the long exposure for the camera to add a black frame on your exposure. But if you shoot raw then you will not need to turn on this function. I find this not very useful as I shoot timelaps and landscapes where light changes constantly and do not want to waste time waiting for the camera to process just one frame.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    14 Nov 2009
    Location
    Roleystone
    Posts
    1,114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarak View Post
    Interesting you should mention long exposure noise reduction there is a downside to that you will have to wait For the same time as the long exposure for the camera to add a black frame on your exposure. But if you shoot raw then you will not need to turn on this function. I find this not very useful as I shoot timelaps and landscapes where light changes constantly and do not want to waste time waiting for the camera to process just one frame.
    Yes, I have been experimenting with it & have found the time delay significant as it becomes darker

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    30 Oct 2006
    Location
    Bris Vegas
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arubaato View Post
    I got my 5D mark 2 sometime ago. After that I've complained about the AF and the slow fps. But I still love it. I hardly ever do action photography, so the AF and fps is no big deal. I also cannot afford having a 5D2 and a 7D at the same time. I think the 5D2 is an excellent camera, and will fulfill my digital work for many years to come.

    Overtime I have learnt that there is no such thing as a perfect camera, or perfect camera bag for that matter. So I think one has to compromise on something.
    SORRY BUT I THINK I HAVE IT

    16-35 2.8
    24-70 2.8
    70-200 2.8

    with the versatility of the 1.6x crop in the 7D and the fast focusing (only thing better would be a 1d IV but you sacrafice the 1.6x for 1.3x)
    and the 5D II which has great low light, excelent resolution and is full frame...

    i tend to have the 24-70 on the 7D and swap the 16-35 and 70-200 on the 5D that way the lens and camera combos overlap each other...

    having used a 20/30/40D camera for so long, the focus system in the 5 mimics it (albiet with 6 extra focus points in the centre for assist purposes only) so i am comfortable using it in a sports style situation yeah the 4 fps is a little slow... but still quite capable if using just the centre spot...

    they both use the same battery, so i have 6 to cover the 2 cameras... (both have grips)

    throw in a 85 f1.8 extension tubes and a few flashes and i am pretty happy with my kit...

    Gemini, if you were in Qld, id let you play with the two bodies side by side, a little more than just in the store as its good to have a few clicks doing what you usually do with your current body)

    yes if i had the money there would be a 1D Iv and a 1Ds IV

    but i am VERY happy with my selections

    M

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    30 Oct 2006
    Location
    Bris Vegas
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarak View Post
    Interesting you should mention long exposure noise reduction there is a downside to that you will have to wait For the same time as the long exposure for the camera to add a black frame on your exposure. But if you shoot raw then you will not need to turn on this function. I find this not very useful as I shoot timelaps and landscapes where light changes constantly and do not want to waste time waiting for the camera to process just one frame.
    Hey Dwarak, the screen does not go black when doing the noise reduction, it is not a blank image it takes, it is software driven, the camera will allow you to keep taking images, this happened to me in the field, and i lost the images as i was unsure what the camera was doing... so i turned it off, it kept the red light on and had a message on the screen telling me to wait... thought it was a bad card, so i swapped cards still did it...

    tested it later on my desk and it works ok

    M
    Last edited by Clubmanmc; 08-04-2011 at 3:41pm.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    14 Nov 2009
    Location
    Roleystone
    Posts
    1,114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubmanmc View Post
    SORRY BUT I THINK I HAVE IT

    16-35 2.8
    24-70 2.8
    70-200 2.8

    with the versatility of the 1.6x crop in the 7D and the fast focusing (only thing better would be a 1d IV but you sacrafice the 1.6x for 1.3x)
    and the 5D II which has great low light, excelent resolution and is full frame...

    i tend to have the 24-70 on the 7D and swap the 16-35 and 70-200 on the 5D that way the lens and camera combos overlap each other...

    having used a 20/30/40D camera for so long, the focus system in the 5 mimics it (albiet with 6 extra focus points in the centre for assist purposes only) so i am comfortable using it in a sports style situation yeah the 4 fps is a little slow... but still quite capable if using just the centre spot...

    they both use the same battery, so i have 6 to cover the 2 cameras... (both have grips)

    throw in a 85 f1.8 extension tubes and a few flashes and i am pretty happy with my kit...

    Gemini, if you were in Qld, id let you play with the two bodies side by side, a little more than just in the store as its good to have a few clicks doing what you usually do with your current body)

    yes if i had the money there would be a 1D Iv and a 1Ds IV

    but i am VERY happy with my selections

    M
    Thank's M, I've been out for a drive & now I'm back to reviewing the 5D MK II AGAIN & maybe keep my 500D, I hate to lose the use of the 10-22mm...I love that lens! OMG I can see I will be researching again all night

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    08 Sep 2010
    Location
    Syd
    Posts
    259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarak View Post
    I am both happy and disappointed with it. The first thing is noticed is that I missed the 7d 19 point auto focus system like the 1d mark 3 has
    surely you knew the camera did not have a great autofocus system before you got it?
    I honestly can't see how you can feel disapointed if you actually knew what you were buying.

    And I can't make sense of the issue with "the external flash can only be used on board without trigger"
    The main advantage the 7D has over the 5D in regards to flash is that it can use the pop up flash to trigger your external canon flash remotely, but that's not what you appear to be describing.
    If you want to trigger a flash remotely when using the 5D, you get the proper hardware.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    08 Sep 2010
    Location
    Syd
    Posts
    259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubmanmc View Post
    Hey Dwarak, the screen does not go black when doing the noise reduction, it is not a blank image it takes, it is software driven, the camera will allow you to keep taking images, this happened to me in the field, and i lost the images as i was unsure what the camera was doing... so i turned it off, it kept the red light on and had a message on the screen telling me to wait... thought it was a bad card, so i swapped cards still did it...

    tested it later on my desk and it works ok

    M
    no, the camera DOES take a dark frame shot if the "long exposure noise reduction" is turned on. C.Fn II 1
    You cannot take another shot while it is taking this shot (unless you turn off the camera and cancel the opeartion)
    You are probably talking about High "ISO speed noise reduction" C.Fn II 2, a completely different thing, and something that is only done to the jpeg, not the raw.

  18. #18
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    23 Nov 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,086
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2261 View Post
    Thank's M, I've been out for a drive & now I'm back to reviewing the 5D MK II AGAIN & maybe keep my 500D, I hate to lose the use of the 10-22mm...I love that lens! OMG I can see I will be researching again all night
    16mm will be equal to the 10mm on a 1*6 crop body so you will not miss it but cannot use the 10-22 on the 5d mk2 body. I used to use a 500d before nice cam but no weather sealing at all which was a no no for me

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    31 Dec 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5dmk2 is the best all round camera i think. i upgraded from the 1dsmk2 to it, and can't fault it. i think it still surpasses most peoples needs who have it, probably including mine, but i'm not about to down grade lol
    I've taken just about everything with this camera, from small birds to super fast ice hockey, architecture and of course landscapes and people. it does everything well.
    Lets see if the MK3 is going to be worth the dollars.
    Canon 5D MKII, 17-40mm f/4L, 24-105mm f/4L, 17mm TS-E f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L
    135mm f/2L.
    Alien bee lights, Gitzo tripods, Adobe CS5

    I find the single most valuable tool on my computer is my recycle bin.


  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    27 Feb 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    650
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting debate... I've been toying with buying a 5D mk2 as a replacement for my 7D, but I reckon there's quite a few things I'd miss (AF, 1.6x). I guess the answer is to have both a 5D mk2 and a 7D, though its an exy option... maybe a future 5D3 will do both jobs... can't decide...
    Richard
    Canon 5D4 | 11-24 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L| 100-400 L II | 85 f/1.2 L | 100 f/2.8 L macro | MP-E 65 f/2.8 macro | 1.4x | 580EX2 | MT-24 Twin Lite | Manfrotto | Photoshop CS5


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •