User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Awesome video on Ansel Adams, with his son, in his house/darkroom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome video on Ansel Adams, with his son, in his house/darkroom

I've been watching this great video on Ansel Adams - he had an incredibly simple darkroom but was truly a master of capture and processing. Inspiring, recommended viewing!

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/04/an...hers-have-now/
    --=3 In Veritas Lux E=--
    Bodies: Canon EOS 5D Mk II, Canon EOS 550D
    Lenses: EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Strobist: 2 x Speedlite 580EXII, 4 x Yongnuo RF-603 Radio Tranceivers, Yongnuo ST-E2 IR Transmitter
    3 x Manfrotto Light Stands, 2 x Softboxes, 2 x Bounce Brollies
    Tripod: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT, PH-50 Panhead

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some memorable quotes:

"I was seven years old, we we coming back to Santa Fe... and Ansel saw this image, he pulled the car off the road... he wanted his exposure meter, but he couldn't find it. So he knew that the luminance of the moon was 250 foot candles, and from that, he derived the exposure." O_o

or this one (paraphrasing):

"The negative was the score; but he regarded the print as the performance."

Tell THAT to anyone who thinks post-processing isn't important in creating a great photographic image!

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adams always maintained that it was the printing process that was the most important part. And I noticed that both the interviewer and Adams son commented on how his early prints were 'lighter' than ones produced from the same negs later in his life. I often go back and re-edit and get a totally different 'feel'.

Those who adamantly maintain 'you must get it right in camera' have lost sight of this point, I think.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||