About to purchase a camera & thinking about extended warranties vs. consumer rights...

My expensive oven (bear with me) broke down six months after manufacturer's warranty. According to Warranties & Refunds, A Guide for Consumers and Businesses:
Statutory rights are not limited to a set time period. Instead, they apply for the amount of time
that is reasonable to expect, given the cost and quality of the item. This means a consumer may be entitled to a remedy under their statutory rights after any
manufacturer’s voluntary or extended warranty has expired.
For example, it is reasonable to expect that an expensive television should not develop a serious
fault after 13 months of normal use. In this case, the consumer could argue the item was not of
merchantable quality and ask for it to be repaired, even if the manufacturer’s voluntary warranty had expired.

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/item....%20refunds.pdf

So i contacted the manufacturer and told them in a very civilised fashion that I considered the quality of this oven meant I expected it to last longer without repair, quoted publication above, understand it is a cost to your organisation, etc. They repaired it, gratis.

Has anyone tested a camera store/manufacturer on this legislation, given the substantial investment made on some equipment?

Having said that, i probably will pick up the 5 year package with the store because it doesn't cost much, offers a free annual sensor clean and involves less argument.

By the way, the booklet above is VERY informative about where you stand on warranties and your rights. Nice to interact with a company knowing precisely what your entitlements are.