User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Which tripod?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which tripod?

I'm due for a new tripod, and wanting some advice on which would be the best for me and my gear.

I shoot with a D700, and all my lens's are rather heavy 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 105/2.8.

My current setup has been strong enough but unfortunately has taken a bit of a bashing. I use a Gold Photo aluminum tripod and a Manfrotto trigger head.

I would ideally like to go for something a lot lighter and I'm not opposed to learning a different type of head.

Thanks in advance for your help, I always find this forum really helpful
    Sue-ann

Nikon D700/D90 | Nikkor 14-24/2.5 | Nikkor 50/1.8 | Nikkor 24-70/2.8 | Nikkor 105/2.8 | Nikon Speedlight SB-600 | Think Tank Streetwalker
    My Flickr Site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello you. You wont get a trigger strong enough, so would suggest a ballhead.
    I bought the Manfrotto 055xb Pro legs and the 498RC2 midi ball head.... it is sturdy enough, and if you want lighter, then you would need the carbon fibre legs.
    Maybe have a play when we catch up next to try it out. The ball head takes some getting used to after the trigger head.....
    Shirl
    Gear - 7D, Canon 100mm macro f2.8L, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, nifty fifty, tripod, hitech filters, lowepro versapack and a long wishlist!
    http://www.shirleymilburn.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/ShirleyMilburnPhotography

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have a Manfrotto Grippo Tripod with Manfrotto "029" pan & tilt head which I use in conjunction with my Canon5D and lens from 20mm to 200mm(zoom).... As a word of warning , if you're going to get a ballhead, make sure it's a quality head. I bought a "cheapy" not long ago ; it's ok with my Canon G12...but is not worth a crumpet in conjunction with the Canon 5D. (yes it droops)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ballheads look at: Markins, Really Right Stuff, Wimberly, Acra Swiss, kirk for the best few.

Generally the saying is "Great legs, lousy head and vice versa"

As for legs. Manfrotto, Gitzo are the only top of the range IMO. Mids range = slik, vanguard, and a few more i can't remember. Budget: Sirui, benro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got manfrotto 055xprob alu legs plus manfrotto midi ball head, all together is very strudy, very flexible, a bit heavy (appr 3kg, but couldnt justify expenses to get carbon fibre one) to walk arround with it but worth the money.
    Never really used trigger head but ball head is easy to use IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a good Benro set up after good advice on here. At first I was not using it all that much but now I am finding that I use it for almost every shoot! Carbon fiber strong, stable and light enough for me I think it is rate for up to 5-6 KGs.

Like Shirl says the ball heads do take getting use to but I find this one extremely stable for my very heavy 1Ds Mark III + attached 100-400mm L. It stays put. Awkward angles I have to anchor it with my bag if I can e.g if I have the camera in the portrait position. I bought it for half the price on ebay (legs and head) from 2 different sellers and saved 50% on what would have been a $700 job.

One thing I would make sure of next purchase is that the legs are clips & not screw ~ they are a pain especially if at the beach ....say no more hahaha

You will see the tripod details by clicking on my "Gear"
    Imagine a world without photography... one could only imagine. - Berenice Abbott

I Shoot Canon

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, awesome helps guys, thanks!!