Quote Originally Posted by pmack View Post
anything you put in front of your lens, can degrade the quality of the image.
I had a bad HOYA CPL some time back that made all my shots blurry. I actually saw someones photo on here and worked out they also had a bad CPL.

Anyway, an ND400 only lets through 1/400th of the amount of light. How does it do this? Through extremely strong tinting i presume.
I can certainly image image quality could be signficantly affected by such strong tinting.
Of course it may be of excellent quality, and loss in image quality could be minimal.
I'd be interested if anyone could show me any testing of the ND400 on image quality though, as I am still tempted to get one
Any image degradation from an ND filter is no different to that of any other filter such as a UV, except for colour casts which are common with ND's. In fact polarising filters have more surfaces than any simple glass filter so are more likely to have issues. I've been using B+W 106 (6 stops), B+W 110 (10 stops), and Heliopan ND8 (3 stops) for about 10 years now and have never seen anything worse than flare, due to dust.

The ND400 should be no different, which by the way over a stop lighter than the B+W 110.

JJ