User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Help - pocket guide???

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    02 Apr 2011
    Location
    Wynn Vale
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Help - pocket guide???

    I've started using the New To Photography Book and Learning Plan. I'm finding it very useful, but was wondering if anyone knows of a "pocket" sized guide for a beginner that may assist me further. I'm after something that I can slip into my backpack, so something that's not too heavy or bulky. Something that I can quickly refer too when I'm out and don't have access to the computer. Any suggestions please? Paul

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    04 Aug 2010
    Location
    Mandurah
    Posts
    806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Paul. Depends if you want a book on basic photography or a book about your specific camera.
    I have a Canon 7D and the Magic Lantern Guide to the 7D tells me everything I need to know and
    more in a "pocket" sized book. Lots of, how to do this and that and is a great learning tool. Take it
    with me everywhere.
    cheers Kerro



    I shoot with Canon cameras and
    Canon and Sigma lenses

  3. #3
    Administrator ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    15,605
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can print out any of the NTP, and use that. Note that the NTP is copyright to me, so you cannot reproduce it for anything other than your own use.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

    Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

    RICK
    My Photography

  4. #4
    It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Kym's Avatar
    Join Date
    15 Jun 2008
    Location
    Modbury, Adelaide
    Posts
    9,639
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the members of our camera club has a couple of check-lists that are on his camera neck strap.

    One has things like: (before he leaves home) This blue card
    - Memory Card
    - Battery
    - Lenses
    - Tripod
    - Flash + Batteries

    The other has items like: this is a yellow card
    - ISO
    - White Balance
    - Mode
    - Auto Focus
    - Composure
    - Depth of Field
    etc.

    I asked why? He said he forgets if he doesn't Works for him!
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff



  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    06 Nov 2010
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    197
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    You can print out any of the NTP, and use that. Note that the NTP is copyright to me, so you cannot reproduce it for anything other than your own use.
    Could I get a clarification on that Rick? When members contribute to the "Library" on this site, their contributions become your copyright? Just so I don't post anything there that I want to retain my own copyright in. Also, does that same rule apply to other areas of the website?
    --=3 In Veritas Lux E=--
    Bodies: Canon EOS 5D Mk II, Canon EOS 550D
    Lenses: EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Strobist: 2 x Speedlite 580EXII, 4 x Yongnuo RF-603 Radio Tranceivers, Yongnuo ST-E2 IR Transmitter
    3 x Manfrotto Light Stands, 2 x Softboxes, 2 x Bounce Brollies
    Tripod: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT, PH-50 Panhead

  6. #6
    Administrator ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    15,605
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricImages View Post
    Could I get a clarification on that Rick? When members contribute to the "Library" on this site, their contributions become your copyright? Just so I don't post anything there that I want to retain my own copyright in. Also, does that same rule apply to other areas of the website?
    No it doesn't. Members cannot EDIT the New To Photography Library items, it is locked completely. Other areas of the Library are open to editing and can be used as members see fit. The NTP copyright is to stop someone say writting a book and using all of that, or grabbing it and creating their own website based on the NTP. Members retain copyright over their photos etc on the site. The NTP is different. Also the competition System is copyright to KYM, so that is also off-limits for use of the system, coding etc, anywhere else without permission.
    Last edited by ricktas; 06-04-2011 at 10:55am.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    06 Nov 2010
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    197
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    No it doesn't. Members cannot EDIT the New To Photography Library items, it is locked completely. Other areas of the Library are open to editing and can be used as members see fit. The NTP copyright is to stop someone say writting a book and using all of that, or grabbing it and creating their own website based on the NTP. Members retain copyright over their photos etc on the site. The NTP is different. Also the competition System is copyright to KYM, so that is also off-limits for use of the system, coding etc, anywhere else without permission.
    Awesome - thanks heaps for this clarification, you had me worried for a second.

  8. #8
    It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Kym's Avatar
    Join Date
    15 Jun 2008
    Location
    Modbury, Adelaide
    Posts
    9,639
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The competition system, and all the modifications I write for AP, are provided under perpetual license to AusPhotography (Rick) at no cost.

    Rick can't sell the competition system, however as we have had a couple of enquiries from overseas I was going to split any revenue with Rick so it goes towards running the site, prizes etc.
    Not that it would be megabucks anyway.

  9. #9
    Member brownie's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 May 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also found the Magic Lantern books a valuable resource guide as well. I thought the books are reasonably priced (via fishpond) and the one I purchased for the camera model I have was the multimedia version that included a DVD as well.

    If you purchase from fishpond via the commission advertiser link http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...te-Advertisers it helps support this site.

    I must say that I found the New to Photography resource on this site is excellent. After reading the above books some things I didn’t grasp in the New to Photography section suddenly made sense, but then I’m a slow learner.
    Nikon D90, 18-200VR II, Tokina 100mm Macro, Sigma 150-500, Nikkor 35mm, Giotto Rocket Air Blower

  10. #10
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    02 Apr 2011
    Location
    Wynn Vale
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. The Magic Lantern book for my camera isn't available until mid June (in the USA) . I searched further and found a Nikon D7000 Digital Field Guide on Amazon
    http://amzn.to/ejljUn - It gets fairly good reviews, so I might grab a copy as Dymocks have it in stock. I will wait until the Magic Lantern book comes out, to see if it's any better, if it is I might grab that one too.

    Again, thank you for the advice.
    A Quote by Jon Kabat-Zinn on surf, life, and problems.

    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf."

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    14 Nov 2009
    Location
    Roleystone
    Posts
    1,114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if you happen to have an iphone, but I have found mine terrific with photography apps. If I am out & about & something comes up e.g. I was out one night with a group & we were doing an evening landscape & suddenly a storm cloud came over & started throwing bolts of lightening out. Now none of us had a clue how to capture that, so I dialed it up on my iphone let the others know the settings & we we able to capture some amazing shots. On ebay there are small laminated cue cards that one can clip to a strap, they are cheap & applicable to the various cameras.
    Imagine a world without photography... one could only imagine. - Berenice Abbott

    I Shoot Canon


  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    04 Aug 2010
    Location
    Mandurah
    Posts
    806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2261 View Post
    I don't know if you happen to have an iphone, but I have found mine terrific with photography apps. If I am out & about & something comes up e.g. I was out one night with a group & we were doing an evening landscape & suddenly a storm cloud came over & started throwing bolts of lightening out. Now none of us had a clue how to capture that, so I dialed it up on my iphone let the others know the settings & we we able to capture some amazing shots. On ebay there are small laminated cue cards that one can clip to a strap, they are cheap & applicable to the various cameras.
    Jaunita, I have the cue cards for my 350D and the 7D. They are a great help.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •