User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Does anyone teach photography?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone teach photography?

Basic dslr courses......I mean here on the forum not at tech or whatever they call it now lol
    cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deleted by me , Maybe a Site rule breach
    Last edited by William; 05-04-2011 at 4:21pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Only members who are site advertisers can reply, as anyone else cannot promote their courses without being a paid site advertiser. After all, the site advertisers are paying and then someone else gets the same publicity for free. This includes via PM, which is monitored for keywords that breach the site rules.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    80-90% of photographic course material is available here in the Library.
    If you follow the learning plan you have covered most of what any commercial (basic) course will cover.

However, some people learn better in a classroom, so a course can be of great value.

One on one workshops are another option where you pick up clues in specific situations like portraiture and lighting.

See: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...te-Advertisers

So match the learning style with the various options to get the best outcome.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with Kym. Workshops will probably be a better option, weekend ones etc, where they are focused on a particular genre. These rely on you understanding the basics of how your camera works, which you can learn from AP, other sites, books etc.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry guys I wanted to find out if you followed a particular curriculum or just made it up as you went along lol.......I am trying to teach a couple of friends how to get out of auto mode......its easy to say just turn the dial and play with it but I wondered if there was a better way......I am not allowed to hit em over the head with a wet fish.....
    Last edited by ricstew; 05-04-2011 at 6:43pm. Reason: cause I cant think.....

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    tell em to join AP and use the NTP.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Ric.......over and over and over ........it would be way easier.......

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Ricstew

As [I thought] is well known, I offer photo workshops thru the eastern states ... and my banner ads turn up here regularly
    While the comments above [Kym, Rick etc] are quite okay for those of us who are a) confident and b) already have a 'certain' level of knowledge ... many people do enjoy a certain level of instruction / hand holding to get them going

From a student response dated 3 April 2011 ... "there is so much to be gained from both the instructor & other students..." ~ outlines one of the basic differences between the "reading a book / doing a tutorial" vs hearing the methodology / seeing a concept presented to you ... and then going out and doing it yourself

We [AP] and others have meet ups and get togethers so that we can share ideas and knowledge ... a workshop is identical, tho in a more structured mode and with a course outline that choreographs students efforts in a certain direction ie: the theme of the workshop

Hope this makes sense ...
    Regards, Phil
    Last edited by OzzieTraveller; 06-04-2011 at 9:29am.
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use these notes when doing a presentation to Rotary clubs and the like http://www.ausphotography.net.au/sta...pactCamera.pdf

The notes are a hand-out and I do a 30 minute free form chat with a bunch of my images and explain the really basic concepts of composition (rule of 1/3), light and DoF - which is all you can cover in 30-40 minutes.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been doing this very informally........using our lunch hours as we work in the same building. The 'students' have 450d's which have never come off auto and kit len's ( I am the only Pentax driver I know in town! ) A couple of handouts explaining the DOF rule of thirds etc. Instant homework.......read your manual!!! Now I have a couple of other people wishing to join us, they work in the building opposite lol and have seen our efforts in the car park and adjoining park. So I wondered if there was a more structured way of doing it or if other people had had success keeping things very informal. At this stage its a lot of fun and I like that they now are game enough to turn a few dials and experiment a bit.
    Ozzie I believe you are correct in that its a confidence thing......a bit of hand holding, very very slight direction and off they go into the world pushing buttons all the way! The difference between doing a tute on the computer or reading a book to having someone show you which button to push and then say now you do it is huge!
    I like your handout Kym and I have written one very similar but more pertaining to dslr's. Its the understanding how your camera works that they need to get to....... before being concerned with the various styles of photography. If you cant work out which button to push or dial to twirl its very difficult to make the photo look how you see it ( if that makes sense lol )
    Once again thanks for your help guys.....its a confidence thing!
    cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Jan, I would start charging them, even $5.00 per person, per session (cheaper than buying lunch). At present you are doing it for free, and therefore they have no incentive to learn or pay attention. Start charging them a small amount and you put a value on not only your time and knowledge, but their pockets suddenly tell them to pay attention, cause the quicker they learn, the cheaper it will be.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Jan

It sounds like your "simple" sessions for mates has grown into something quite different
    If you are now considering that you are "offering professional skills" then good on you - and do it professionally

I suggest that in the 1st instance, pop into your local book shop and chase up someone else's "learn to use your camera" book for maybe $25 - and get a few copies
    Create some of your own samples (like depth of field) and print some A4s showing these things, then
    Charge your "students" $50 for your time & a copy of the book

PM me if you'd like more info & maybe some materials
    Regards, Phil

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I have had a think about this and I think its best to keep it at the playing together level for the time being. They can buy me lunch! I cant offer professional skills so I think offering encouragement is the way to go.
    cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont forget about us
    http://www.digitalphotographycourses.com.au/

Learn to improve your photography with help from our friendly, dedicated and passionate photographers.

We offer hands on beginners photography courses as well as more advanced photography workshops and courses aimed at those looking to improve their skills and apply their craft to new subjects.

FINE ART PRINTS: www.kanegledhill.com.au
    FLICKR: www.flickr.com/photos/kanegledhill
    FB: www.facebook.com/kanegledhillphotography

Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 50D | Canon EF 17-40 f/4 L | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM Lens. Fotoman 617 (medium format film)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do as I did with a couple of my friends. take them out with the camera, show them what you have learnt. Introduce them to some of the members that live close to you. Organize a meetup and invite them along. Anything to get them excited about learning.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My money's on TAFE if your friends are lucky enough to be close by one. I have completed a couple of evening TAFE photography courses and find the classroom environment (there are plenty of field trips) coupled with a qualified and experienced teacher is a great way to take you out of the "point and shoot" arena and progress you into the "think, adjust, point and shoot" photographer.

The course essentially covered the photography basics through to manipulation with Photoshop and was a great stepping stone to the next level. First course was 4 hrs one night a week for six months ($230), second course was more advanced but for 12 months ($460).
    Last edited by sealhead; 24-04-2011 at 12:02pm.