User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: In reality - using my flash

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In reality - using my flash

Just voicing what I am doing re: a photoshoot and hoping to use my flash off camera. I am attending a makeup/hair glamour function (for young people) through school activity and was asked to take some pictures. No stress or expectations is placed upon me for this, as i often do this for the school where I work. I enjoy it as I am asked to do some weird and wonderful shoots at times.

I love using my lights and confident in doing that, flash not so good. These type of functions are fast paced and I don't have time to mess around changing things.

I am thinking of placing my 580exII on a stand and have next to my camera and take photos. How can I diffuse my flash easily, or should I diffuse it (is it a big difference if I do?? - do you recommend it?). I thought I would move around in this manner, as I always read your flash should be off camera. I won't be using an umbrella or softbox (too big and not ideal for this type of shoot) - not staying in one spot.

They are hoping to score some images for promotional purposes.

Any suggestions or tips appreciated.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the flash with no difusion will be harsh and unflattering for make up and hair shots. If you are already using a stand...an umbrella, bounce or shoot thru, isnt going to much more of an imposition. What about bouncing off the roof or other walls?

Adrian Fischer
    Brisbane, Australia

Gear: Nikon D80, D300, Nikon 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 105mm f2.5, 18-200 VR, 70-200 VR, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8, Sigma 50-500, Tonkina 12-24 f4, SB-600, various YongNuo Strobes, various umbrellas, 6 x 300w studio flashes, various softboxes, reflectors, stands, transmitters and receivers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Adrian. If you're in a fast-paced environment, however, a light stand can really slow you down, as well as getting in the way of people rushing around. There's nothing worse than having someone knock over your $600 Speedlite... except for someone tripping over your lighting stand and ending up in casualty.

For the scenario you've described, I'd be tempted to keep the speedlite on camera, and bounce it off walls or ceiling to create diffusion and wrap; as well as using existing light and a fast lens (at least f/2.8, but a 1.8 would be better XD).
    Last edited by ElectricImages; 05-04-2011 at 4:42pm.
    --=3 In Veritas Lux E=--
    Bodies: Canon EOS 5D Mk II, Canon EOS 550D
    Lenses: EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Strobist: 2 x Speedlite 580EXII, 4 x Yongnuo RF-603 Radio Tranceivers, Yongnuo ST-E2 IR Transmitter
    3 x Manfrotto Light Stands, 2 x Softboxes, 2 x Bounce Brollies
    Tripod: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT, PH-50 Panhead

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Adrian - fair comment.

ElectricImages - good advice. I will be in a room that is full and fast paced environment - bouncing of the wall/ceiling is an option. Will have a practice at home before I do the shoot in a couple of days.