User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Cokin or Hoya Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cokin or Hoya Filters

I have decided I NEED CP filters, and worked out it would cost the same to deck out 4 different thread sizes with 4 different Hoya CP (the cheaper ones) filters as it would to get the Cokin system. The advantage of the cokin system obviously being I can now add more filters to my collection quite cheaply. So my question is, are the Cokin filters good? Or am I better off spending more $$ on better quality Hoya filters?

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well if you get the cokins then you leave yourself opens for a bunch of ND and GND filters too...

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well if you get the cokins then you leave yourself opens for a bunch of ND and GND filters too...
    Yes, Cokin has that massive advantage!

But....are they good filters?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cokin are SO inconvenient
    how many filters do you need anyway?
    and there's always the color cast issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CPL. Hoya/kenko.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we Talkiing screw on Filters or a Grad set in a Filter Holder , I use Cokin, "P" Series Filters , Just dont stack them to much 2 max , Or you get a Magenta Cast , If you shoot RAW it's easy to get rid of these days
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    superduper,

My conclusion is to go for Cokin if you are serious enough for your landscape images. You can read the following to discover my reason.

I have gone thru the steps of using Hoya screw ons, then the Cokin P system, and now using the Cokin Z-Pro system.

Depends on what kind of gears you have, what kind of gears you WILL have, and what you want to achieve.

At the beginning I started out with a 500D + 18-55IS kit lens, the 58mm Hoya Pro1D ND2/4/8 + a CPL is really all I need. It does produce a fantastic result within it's limitation.

Then later I have got greedy, I want a wider focal length, better color rendering and better details can be recorded thru the lens. So I go for the EF-S 10-20 USM. Which retired my 58mm filters - because the lens itself if 77mm diameter.

I start asking myself where is this going to end, because if I keep upgrading to different lens, I will always face the problem screw on filters diameter.

This is where I decided to go for the Cokin P system - NOTE: With a ultra wide filter holder. (Standard holder produce dark corner at the 4 corner edges)

With the color cast problem: using the original cokin filter (even stacking) I don't really have the problem, but using the cheapies MIGHT produce color cast in certain cases. But it only matters if you shoot JPEG. If shoot Raw it can be adjust during post process.

Later I have obsessed with the lenses has a red ring.... then proceed to risk my neck (chop by missus) and upgrade to the Cokin Z-Pro system.

I am in Brisbane, and if you want to have a play with my Z-Pro you are more than welcome to.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input

Andylo, I'm a long way North of Bris, but thank you so much for the kind offer

Where am I now and where do I want to be: I am a beginner and I want to be a great all-rounder. I will always primarily photograph my children, but also love doing landscapes, sunsets, macro etc. I have a 35mm/1.8 (52mm thread), 60mm/2.8 (62mm thread), 135mm/2 (72mm thread) and an 18-200/3.5-5.6 (72mm thread). I will hopefully soon also own the 300mm/4 (77mm thread).

I do not shoot raw, and am yet to learn about editing (doing a course soon )

William, yeah I was talking about the cokin p series stackables.

Initially I need some polarised filters, then I want some ND grads. I bought a super duper cheap grad ($5 delivered!) which looks like I could screw another filter infront of it. Can Hoya filters be screwed together? I want to learn more about photoshop before I decide what other filters I would want (I think most other filter effects can be acheived in photshop?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the thread i had the same question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cheapest way out is to always buy filters to fit your largest diameter lens and use stepdown rings to suit the smaller diameter lenses.
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just purchased some cokin filters and yes they can be a pain and not convenient time wise but the results are good. Ive also found that staking two is ok but 3..not so much. Its all about trial and error! Goodluck

Ausphotography Regular Jeanette's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I am now in the market for ND filters and posted a google search about this. and voila this came up in google search
    The last post was 2011 ..
    any preference or suggestions for screw on filters vs cokin ???

Constructive Critique and editing of my images is welcome and appreciated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about Lee filter systems?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette View Post
    So I am now in the market for ND filters and posted a google search about this. and voila this came up in google search
    The last post was 2011 ..
    any preference or suggestions for screw on filters vs cokin ???
    As someone else said, just buy a large high quality screw on and get some step down rings.