Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Need help on cake slice/desert photography for a coffee shop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help on cake slice/desert photography for a coffee shop

Hi all,

I have been invited to do a photo shoot for a coffee/desert shop and help to promote their productions.

I am doing it for FREE... well... I get to eat as much as I could after the photo shoot, so it's not entirely free

Except I have NFI how to do a good photo shoot on food subjects. I have done some search in this forum but couldn't find anything as a good sample or reference.

Although I am a bad amateur tog, I think I got some good gears. The one I will be using is the 70-200 II and mount on tripod. I got access to a 580EXII and a 430EXII, and can get another 430EXII if needed/recommended. I also have a short OCF cable.

But I suspect using the ambient light with longer exposure time is better option, it's not like the cake slices will move

I am reading up on google on how to take good food photos, but most are very basic stuff and nothing too outstanding.

Would like to see if there are some good word of advice/tip/tricks/new idea I never come across.

Looking forward to your opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done a lot of food photography for commercial and restaurants in the past, use ambient lighting as much as you can, or bounce the flash somewhere else - as the lighting hitting food or plates and cups makes it look glazed and doesnt reflect the true product. I also use a fast aperture ie. f2 or f1.4 etc, to blur out the background and focus on the product more.

you dont need a tripod at all. Use colours expressively and liberally for dessert shots, makes it more appealing to people to nom nom nom

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks JM.

Do you happen to have a blog or something that shows your food shots so I can learn a trick or 2 from them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here are some stuff I did a few yrs ago, not that great honestly, as I was still starting out hahaha

http://www.mesaosteria.com/

http://www.orientai.com.au/

http://www.britishindia.net.au/

http://www.kwikstix.com.au/

http://www.singaporehouse.com.au/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the 70-200 II is the right lens for this job. Its minimum focusing distance is 1.5m or so, and it's pretty awful at doing close-up work. Any chance of finding yourself a 100mm macro or a fast 85 or 135mm prime?
    --=3 In Veritas Lux E=--
    Bodies: Canon EOS 5D Mk II, Canon EOS 550D
    Lenses: EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Strobist: 2 x Speedlite 580EXII, 4 x Yongnuo RF-603 Radio Tranceivers, Yongnuo ST-E2 IR Transmitter
    3 x Manfrotto Light Stands, 2 x Softboxes, 2 x Bounce Brollies
    Tripod: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT, PH-50 Panhead

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GREAT IDEA!!!!! I do have a 100mm Marco L!!! Why didn't I thought of it.....

(To be honest, since I got the 70-200II, it never leaves the camera body I think it's the best lens in the world )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have it too - and I also think it's one of the best lenses ever made!! But it can't do everything - your 100mm macro should do a much better job with this, and is also a terrific lens.
    Last edited by ElectricImages; 04-04-2011 at 4:13pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    may be too late, but generally food looks best lit from the back

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, not at all mate. Never too late to learnt stuff.

I almost forgot I have created this thread. Will post some image in C&C area about this.

(Currently uploading 4000+ images from camera to computer after a run in QLD Raceway )