Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Yikes..formatted the laptop but now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yikes..formatted the laptop but now

Hi all,
    I needed to format an LG laptop that was running xp...so I could put a tethering program on it.......so I copied all the drivers using ??Drivermax onto a thumb drive. Followed all the instruction re the format with the discs......and that bit seems ok.....but now I cant get the drivers back on

I go into the device driver and right click the yellow ? to update driver but cant seem to get the updater thingy to point at the driver on the thumb drive......any one got any ideas of what I am doing wrong?? I am more than a bit out of my depth.
    thanks
    Jan

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jan, just copy them from the thumb drive to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers directory and try again from there. I hope that helps.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You an also search the net for the drivers and re-install them from downloaded copies.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, as Rick said. Download the drivers from the LG website for your particular laptop model.
    Find the laptop on the LG website, look in the 'support' or download area for that particular model and download all the drivers available to whatever device(USB thumb drive or external hdd) or location on another PC.

I just had a look at this drivermax program you spoke of, and it seems to compress the drivers it archives into a zip file.
    If it is a zip file, windows driver updater will not recognise this file.
    Wherever you saved this archive of drivers, it will need to be unzipped first, and then you should be able to point the driver updater to the files on the thumbdrive.
    (but I still reckon you're better off getting any and all new updates from the LG website).
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys.....I will try and download them and see how I go.....then I copy them to the system32??
    cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you should also be able to browse to the folder where the drivers are

yes system32
    Ben

Camera: 7d
    Lenses: Canon 17 - 55 f2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8, Sigma 30mm f1.4
    Flash: 430 exii

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    phooey I did just browse where the drivers are supposed to be but the folders are all empty.................@#$%^&&%..........guess I gotta do it the hard way.......@#$%%^^&&

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ricstew,

Formatting and rebuilding laptops and desktops is always a fun task to do they can be right royal pains in the butt sometimes.
    the advise given should help you with your driver issues.

Robert Also suggests - Once when either you reformatted or reinstalled the operating system onto a laptop, sometimes a few drivers dont update automatically, depending on the laptop architecture and the software drivers available to it.
    As you have done you can go to the Device manager and make sure you have the network controller driver installed and working correctly, once that is done, all other drivers can be manually or automatically installed from the web.
    Good idea to go to the manufacturer's website for the specific laptop model and download all the drivers (or the updated non-installed ones) and save them into a directory from your root dive. e.g. C:\FILES (for example).
    Graphics drivers, northbridge and southbridge drivers, and other peripheral device software applicable to your laptop specs.
    Also by doing this, you are getting the latest software versions of the LG laptop as well.
    Then you can run them for your saved directory location and install them as normal. they should install and update within the Device Manager as well.
    Also note : Some Laptop companies have a quick install or automatic install file, so you download and install this one file, and it will automatically looks up the manufacturer's website and automatically downloads all missing device drivers, this can be very handy indeed!

Also if you have a backup Hard drive (which is always recommended for your Laptop backup images and backup files, etc, you can simply copy the c:\FILES directory to it, in case you need it later on.

Hope that helps and makes sense to you.

Cheers
    Last edited by PerfectPicture; 03-04-2011 at 6:37pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dumb question 32 for today........the downloaded folders....some have folders in them..( seem to be dll files )...do I put the entire folder into system 32?
    How do i know if the network controller driver is there?
    So I put them in the folder called drivers in system 32?
    It took hours to find the drivers....the LG site isnt too good
    Last edited by ricstew; 03-04-2011 at 6:51pm.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricstew View Post
    Dumb question 32 for today........the downloaded folders....some have folders in them..( seem to be dll files )...do I put the entire folder into system 32?
    How do i know if the network controller driver is there?
    So I put them in the folder called drivers in system 32?
    It took hours to find the drivers....the LG site isnt too good
    I would NOT Recommend to manually copy over files to Windows/system32 folder location.
    Once you have downloaded the files from the LG Laptop website into C:\FILES (for example) .
    When you are at the LG Laptop website it gives you the webpage of what the file is , what it does, etc. l personally saved this HMTL file (FILE > Save as in your browser) to c:\files with either the name of the file itself, e.g. "network-driver-1gb", then click on the Actual URL link to download the software file itself into c:\files as well.
    Most of these files are self-extracting excutable files. again l double click on the file (you download ) and l save them to c:\files\network (for example).
    Once that is done.
    then goto c:\files\network folder and run the setup.exe file and go through the steps to install the specific software.
    It will automatically place it into its file structure without you needing to manually copy files from here to there.
    if all successful, (which it should be), then you can check Device Manager to confirm the driver itself is installed correctly.

Does that make sense?
    Last edited by PerfectPicture; 03-04-2011 at 7:07pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think so..........copy from the thumb drive to a folder I have made on the lappy.......read the html page in the file.......run the exe file and hopefully it will self extract to the correct place.......

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whooo hoooooooooo It worked! I can connect to the net AND run PK tether!!!!! Holy moley thank you soooooo much guys!!! Can you tell I am excited! FMD!
    cheers
    Jan