User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a desktop computer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In regard to compatability, you obviously need to match an AMD Mobo to an AMD processor, etc. but most of the modern peripherals (eg SATA, PCI and memory slots) will work with a reasonably modern Mobo. You can always ask about this when you purchase the various bits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went and had a look today at the computer store I deal with a bit. ( Raining here so I can't work).

This is what they sell for $1350 (They have cheaper and dearer packages also).

Very basic small case
    Intel Core i7 2600 Quad core with turbo 3.4 - 3.8GHz (2nd gen Intel processor with turbo)
    Windows 7 Home Premium (not 64 bit)
    Intel H67 chipset
    RAM DDR3 4GB 1333MHz 2 slots
    1TB SATA ll 7200rpm
    DVDRW SuperMulti Optical Drive
    Integrated Intel HD 850 - 1350MHz graphics
    Multi Card reader
    Basic Keyboard & Mouse
    3 year waranty

Even with my level of knowledge I think it's safe to say you don't get a lot for your money with packages like these.
    Last edited by Paul G; 11-04-2011 at 3:32pm.
    Attitude is everything!

Cheers, Paul

Nikon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only had a very quick look but that seems very expensive and not a well matched system. That's a pretty high end processor with a low end integrated graphics motherboard. Case looks very cheap. If you go to www.cpl.net.au and have a look at their price list, you can add up the system costs.

If you also look at CPL's prebuilt systems, for that sort of money you are getting a very high end gaming machine with a blue-ray player!

Don't know whats avialable in Qld, but I am sure there are similar stores up your way.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will add, in my own and my parents PC's I've had 2 ASUS motherboards die recently. Simply based on that I would not go ASUS unfortunately.
    Have: Nikon D90; Tamron 17-50mm 2.8; Tokina 50-135mm 2.8; Tamron 18-270 'alphabet' lens; Nikkor 50mm 1.8; 1x Nikon SB-600; 3x Yongnuo YN560 flash, 1x Yongnuo YN465 flash.

Want: Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro;

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever you build, by the time you have finished it , it will be time to start again.

In the last 3-4 months alone, processors have moved quite a few steps already. Such is the technological world.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have also had many MSI motherboards die... no other brand has had a problem excpet for that one.
    boggo.

feel free to fix my shots and send them back to me!

canon 5d2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, interesting comments on Motherboards dying. Never happened to me over many years. Tend to use Gigabyte these days. If any manufacturer was prone to problems, I am sure you'd see lots of info on forums such as Overclockers or Whirlpool.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12