User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Noisy IS on 70-200 f4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noisy IS on 70-200 f4

I have a 70-200 f4 L and the IS seems slightly noisy. Is this a common issue with this lens?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my understanding ALL IS does produce some noise.

Usually the longer the lens (i.e. Telephoto) the noisier it is.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Andy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my F4 IS is very quiet for a lens with IS, if you have used 1st generation Canon IS lenses like the 28-135 for example, it is much much louder and noticeable.

see if you can get someone who has experience to listen to the sound your lens makes, or in a shop, see if its either just you or its a real defect

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 70-200/2.8IS and when I first got it I thought it was noisey. It makes a bit of a clunk noise when it kicks in and you can hear it wurring away while it is running. I have found that this is completely normal and I don't really notice it now.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As above, I have the F2.8 and yeap it's slightly noisey, I rented a Brand New straight out of the box 300mm F4 L IS the other week and it made like a constant very slight hiss, IS and HSM working O/T chasing Birds.

You could always goto a quality camera store and compair the noise of yours to a new out of the box lens, being a fast moving lens, most shops I would suggest, should stock this lens.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the F4 and it is noisy. That was my first IS lens and I thought it too noisy at the start,
    but have got used to it now and hardly notice it. While I am walking along looking at nothing it is
    constantly noisy unless I turn it off. Dont have any issues with it, even after dropping it on to
    concrete from 4 feet up.
    cheers Kerro
    I shoot with Canon cameras and Canon and Sigma lenses and now a Mavic Pro too

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto with the F4, I was quite surprised at the noise level compared with my 24-105. As Kerro says, after a while you don't notice the noise.

Photographer Extraordinaire
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My f4 is very quite and I rarely notice it. Even when I first got it, it was fairly quiet.

The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera - Anonymous

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose it's subjective, but the f4's IS is known to be a bit noisier than others. They give quite a 'clunk' when engaging and disengaging, and a slightly rattly whir while operating. Mine fits the profile exactly. It definitely makes more noise than my other IS's.

Cheers,
    Jason.
    7D, 350D and some glass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had mine for a year, given the fact that it's moving elements around to maintain a sharp image the noise is makes is barely discernable.
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. Happy shooting!