• Panasonic

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 2011 Ausphotography Camera Brand Poll

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was getting ready to buy my first DSLR I think I must have agonised for nearly six months between Canon and Nikon models with the choice finally narrowed to either a Nikon D90 or the Canon 50D. After doing research and reading reviews that all said that both cameras were equally good (each had strong points and weak points but nothing to really put one ahead of the other) I thought my head was going to explode as I see-sawed between deciding on one or the other.

The one thing it came down to was the old "go in to a camera shop and see how they feel" - so I did, and walked out with the Canon. It was as simple as that in the end. I can't say it was because Canon had a better reputation, as I'd had lousy experiences with not one but two Canon printers and that had tarnished their image for me. Fortunately, I've not had any cause to regret my decision.
    Michaela

Comments and critique always welcome and appreciated.

My photos on Flickr
    Canon 5D Mk III | 7D | Assorted Canon Lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nikon, Nikkormat FT in 1968 and nikon D80 40 years laier 65,000 clicks time for a grease up and oil change!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo62 View Post
    Sony, mainly because I don't like handling a brick when I shoot and I like to be different
    7D with grip + flash + full compiment of batteries + 28-135mm f4 old skool Minolta AF lens ain't exactly light.
    Guess that makes it Sony / Minolta / Konica-minolta for me
    CC always welcome and appreciated.
    Tweaks welcome but please add how and why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at lenses then played with the bodies. Canon felt the best and most natural for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh hey Rick, would it be possible to compare this year's camera brand poll with previous years? It'd be really interesting to analyse the trends over time...
    --=3 In Veritas Lux E=--
    Bodies: Canon EOS 5D Mk II, Canon EOS 550D
    Lenses: EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Strobist: 2 x Speedlite 580EXII, 4 x Yongnuo RF-603 Radio Tranceivers, Yongnuo ST-E2 IR Transmitter
    3 x Manfrotto Light Stands, 2 x Softboxes, 2 x Bounce Brollies
    Tripod: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT, PH-50 Panhead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pentax here!

I was talking to a little girl at work the other day who wants to do photography at uni.......she doesn't have a camera yet ( can you really build a portfolio with your phone?? ) and when I said what sort would you like 'Canon" was the reply........."why Canon?" I said.........." .....cause my cousin said they are the best "......
    I gotta admit I encouraged her to go to a camera shop and handle them all.....the right one will say BUY ME BUY ME!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers, Brad

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first serious camera was a Nikon. I expect the last serious camera I use most of the time will be a Nikon too.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive had canon {Film}, Minolta { Film}, pentax {digital} and now nikon...I do like the Nikon gear...very well designed system for Photographers...the D300s has the best AF Ive ever used ...Nikon is pricey , and I see that as is its only downfall

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hard one to pick for me, I use Nikon and Canon for commercial work, it's what my clients expect. But I use Leica, Pentax, Ebony, and Sinar cameras for family events and personal portfolio development. But if I had to pick a camera system that has given me the most enjoyment of the the years it would have to be my Pentax cameras, they make lenses that can't be found in any other lens mount - Leica has had it's ups-and-downs with the M8,M8.2 and M9. Their lens line up is dictated by the frame-lines in their standard rangefinders, but when it comes to Lens speed and quality leica can't really be beaten. Though you can still find some pretty interesting lenses for Leica M and threadmount leica cameras floating around. Though finding accessory viewfinders and lens hoods for the more esoteric lenses can be a major headache, and leave a dent in your bank balance.
    Last edited by Othrelos; 09-05-2011 at 8:35pm.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scpleta View Post
    am wondering why there are more canon users than others? is it because canon users get more value from their camera?
    I had a free choice last year, a fresh start. I researched lenses first, found the lenses that suited my needs best, and that locked in my brand. Canon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use both the major brand Dslr's - but much prefer Nikon's af and noise (even the properties of the noise that they produce) and i love their CLS (creative lighting system) which canon has yet to fully catch up to. canon has a larger f/4 range, is generally a bit cheaper and has a massive lineup of beginner bodies. the system that i really really want to buy into one day is the phase one medium format 60+ or new 80 digital backs...
    Successful People Make Adjustments - Evander Holyfield

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first camera was a Nikon FE which served me well for many years, so when I recently got back into photography I went with Nikon again.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still on my first (and hopefully only?) DSLR, which is a Canon, after I was using my Canon Powershot for a long time. So I've only really experienced Canon and I'd never have a reason to go with anyone different as I'm very happy with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been a Nikon man for near 40 years haven't seen the need to alter my allegiance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sony here.
    Interesting..on this side of the Ocean Nikon comes first, Canon second and Sony third..
    Personally I care more about the quality of the pictures then camerabrands.
    But i have to admit that i am a admirerer of the long lasting quality of the Minoltalenses, even compared to modern gear they still match up.
    Last edited by Lion31Cybershot; 07-08-2011 at 9:48am.
    Dutch Bugger I am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my Nikon
    Graeme

Nikon D90,Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Nikon 18-105 f3.5-5.6VR, Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6Di VC,Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX, Benro A2692TB1S tripod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaela View Post
    The one thing it came down to was the old "go in to a camera shop and see how they feel" - so I did, and walked out with the Canon. It was as simple as that in the end.
    I did the same, looked at two DSLR's in my price range (Canon 400D and whatever the Nikon equivalent was at the time) and asked plenty of friends etc and in the end it was going into a shop and seeing what felt best in my hand.

My Mum did the same this year when she bought her first Digital SLR and walked out with a Nikon.

I've been very happy with my Canon and now that I have some Canon gear and are used to the way they work I would go Canon again without hesitation.
    Last edited by MJay; 16-12-2011 at 12:14am.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    POLL CLOSED.

We will start a 2012 version about April.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12