Thread: Book Reviews

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edenconnell View Post
    I just bought "Canon EOS Digital Photography" by Serge Timacheff

Looks pretty good can't wait to read it all
    This book has been a great starting point and had helped me to understand the basics of photography using my Canon equipment....

Its around 300 pages which I have read in almost three nights....

Nearly finished ......
    Canon 7D with various lenses...

Zoom In With Eden Photography http://zoominwitheden.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photoshop's Layers by Matt Kloskowski
    Publisher: Peachpit Press
    ISBN-13: 978-0-321-53416-3
    Great book for anyone trying to get a handle on layers, easy to follow and are able to download the very same photo's as Matt and work along with him, make it so much easier to understand.

Lightroom 2 book for digital photographers by Scott Kelby
    Publisher: New Riders
    ISBN-13: 978-0-321-55556-4

Another great book with step by step instructions, didn't have a clue where to start with Lightroom when I first got it but as others have said Scott has a very easy to understand way of tutoring.

Just waiting for his version of CS4 to be delivered now.
    Fujifilm GA645Wi
    Canon PowerShot G10
    Canon 17-40 f/4L 70-200 f/4L
    Photoshop Lightroom 3.6 & CS4

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mastering Digital Photography by Michael Freeman
    Hardcover 640 pages; 24.2 x 21.4 x 4.6 cm; 2.1kgs; 2000 colour illustrations
    Publisher: ILEX ISBN-10: 1905814429 ISBN-13: 978-1905814428
    Prices from AU$40 to AU$98

From the fly sheet:
    This comprehensive volume is the fruit of a long and uniquely distinguished photographic career. Micheal Freeman has long been recognised as being not only a unique talent behind the viewfinder, but a gifted and supremely clear communicated. Here, for the first time, is a comprehensive thematic guide covering every aspect of his craft. Opening with an introduction to the workings of the modern digital camera, the book continues through examinations of natural light, artificial lighting, portraiture, reportage, action shots, landscapes, macro, studio work, colour, black and white, printing and display. Thousands of Micheal's own photos illustrate his thinking, with step by step worked examples making the topics accessible and instructive. Everyone serious about improving their photography can learn something from this must-have volume.
    and I agree.

I picked up this book on special earlier in the year ($40). It's big and has a tonne of information. Mastering Digital Photography is better used as a reference book than a read it book, although I sometimes browse it just for fun. It surprised me as to both how simple Michael Freeman presents information but also to the depth of that information. He spends a lot of time talking about light and colour which then leads into very interesting ideas for creative photographs. If you are into light and colour theory then this book has it in spades.

On the down side; as much as it has great ideas and inspirational images, Michael Freeman does not explain enough of the how-to. If you like Scott Kelby you may not like Michael Freeman for the reason he does not detail the how-to and has a drier reading style.

In summary I think it is a good reference book for ideas and creativity if you have a clue as to how you can execute those ideas. My rating 7/10 - good value if you get it at the lower end of the price scale.

http://www.amazon.com/reader/0782142..._dp_ptu#reader (Table of contents)
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just purchased this book and I am loving it.

Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography Field Guide.

He is the author of the well known Understanding Exposure, Understanding Shutter Speed, Understanding Close-Up Photography,Learning to see Creatively, Understanding Digital Photography and Beyond Portraiture.

This book is an all in one guide combining main ideas from all the other books.
    I am enjoying it immensly, it has just been released but i have no doubt it will end up as popular as the others are.
    Julie

Canon 6D,Fuji X100
    l Canon 50mm f1.8 MK l l Canon 85mm f1.8 l Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro l Canon 24-70IS f4L l LR4/CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For all of you birdos out there that live around or in Victoria this is a great book to read
    ATM it's my mini bible on all must go destinations for birdwatching in Victoria, Australia

It's called "Where to see birds in Victoria" by Birds Australia edited by Tim Dolby, Penny Johns and Sally Symonds

I bought it off the CSIRO shop online for $29

ISBN 978-1-74175-736-1 Allen & unwin

Its small so you can travel with it and the photos are fantastic. It tells you the details on where to go with acurate Melway info and they even describe the tracks and what time of the year is best to go etc
    Canon 50D
    Canon 50mm f1.4
    Sigma 10-20mm
    Canon 100-400mm
    Canon 100mm f2
    www.kylieknightphotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since composition hasn't been mentioned, the two books I find helpful are:

The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos by Michael Freeman

Photography and the Art of Seeing: A Visual Perception Workshop for Film and Digital Photography by Freeman Patterson

The first deals with a wide range of compositional elements and the basics for given photographic situations from the need for planning in an action or "decisive moment" street shots to the design of still life. I particularly like his later discussion of your intent as a photographer i.e. whether you are wanting to please as many viewers as possible using safe, tried principles or to be seen as original by breaking most accepted guidelines to blaze a unique trail for yourself.

The second book is appropriately named a workshop as it gives many exercises the reader can carry out to get the eye to see something special in otherwise mundane subjects or locations. A great eye-opener particularly for those new to abstraction and geometry.
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 70-200 f/4L USM | EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 II
    EF 25 II Extension Tube | Velbon Sherpa 250R tripod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Genius of Photography
    Gerry Badger

Also comes with DVD

After watching the series on ABC 2 I just had to get the book. Brilliant.
    Best Regards, Mark (Criticism encouraged on all my photos. Thanking you for your guidance).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcas View Post
    I have just purchased this book and I am loving it.

Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography Field Guide.

He is the author of the well known Understanding Exposure, Understanding Shutter Speed, Understanding Close-Up Photography,Learning to see Creatively, Understanding Digital Photography and Beyond Portraiture.

This book is an all in one guide combining main ideas from all the other books.
    I am enjoying it immensly, it has just been released but i have no doubt it will end up as popular as the others are.

Thanks Julie, i just bought this book, i love it and highly recommend it.
    CC is welcomed & appreciated

5d Mark II

Photography by nature is spiritual, considering it comes from the darkness to show the light.
    - Kevin Russo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Images of a timeless land by Peter Lik they are a collection of his panos from Australia. Just superb

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi all
    has any one had a read or heard any feedback on photoshop elements 8 for dummies
    and if so is it worth getting
    i am just starting in editing and apart from quick nfix the rest is above me
    cheers macca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lighting

has anybody read anything on creative lighting i did see a thread on it a little while ago but have forgotten the title, but just remember it being reccomended.
    Brad
    NikonD80, NikonD700, Nikon18-70, Nikon70-200 2.8, NikonSB-900,Nikon af-s 50mm f1.4g

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilto View Post
    has anybody read anything on creative lighting i did see a thread on it a little while ago but have forgotten the title, but just remember it being reccomended.
    Haven't seen the thread you're referring to but this book I've seen highly recommended on many occasions. I've actually got a copy myself but haven't got around to reading it yet.
    Alan

Canon 5DII, 40D, some lenses, and some other stuff.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Art of adventure photography by the late Galen rowell. It's a series of short magazine articles lifted from popular photography and outdoor photography plus additional essays that he has written. It's quite an old book now and shows it's age in some areas, but it's an inspiring look into what he felt made an adventure image and how seriously he undertook the cultural responsibilities of his wonderful talent. So much of his energy comes though in the writing and it would be interesting to see what he thinks of the giant zoom lenses nikon are not producing. A lot of his stuff is along the lines of
    "awoke at 3am for sunrise and grabbed bag of nikon f4 20mm f2.8 and 200mm f4 and light tripod and started running up the mountain. Reached the top by 6am for sunrise, shot 4 rolls of velvia using grad warm up filter and ran back down to the village for breakfast at 8am after detour to shoot fishermen departing for the morning catch. "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I love books and reading I came across Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson some time ago, although did not buy the book. THEN I discovered only very recently that my mother has a copy of the original 1990 edition! So of course I am half way through it and even though it refers to 35mm photography it is still a great read. So much so that I bought the 2010 edition!

I even pulled out my old Pentax 35mm body and lenses to play with them!

I got the current edition from Amazon but I'm sure it can be bought in local book stores.

Info: Understanding Exposure 3rd Edition/Revised and Updated By Bryan Peterson
    ISBN: 9780817439392

I'm afraid to say though that I will not finish reading either one this week as I have just ordered my new d300s so it's manual will take precedence!!

Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free Postage on fishpond books

Quote Originally Posted by beckscj View Post
    Since I love books and reading I came across Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson some time ago, although did not buy the book. THEN I discovered only very recently that my mother has a copy of the original 1990 edition! So of course I am half way through it and even though it refers to 35mm photography it is still a great read. So much so that I bought the 2010 edition!
    I even pulled out my old Pentax 35mm body and lenses to play with them!
    I got the current edition from Amazon but I'm sure it can be bought in local book stores.

Info: Understanding Exposure 3rd Edition/Revised and Updated By Bryan Peterson
    ISBN: 9780817439392
    Cindy

I just purchased this book & some others from fishpond, an AP advertiser. Fantastic prices, cheaper than Amazon & FREE postage at the moment
    Last edited by silkdiver; 23-11-2010 at 1:13pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redders64 View Post
    I have just got the "Understanding Exposure" book by Bryan Peterson and it is such a revelation. After reading it the penny has dropped on so many things, I am starting to feel in control of the final product instead of hit and miss like it was before. He makes it easy to understand and takes you through step by step. Highly Recommended!!
    Yeah, it was one of the first photography books I got too. Very good explanations of aperture, metering etc etc.

Got mine from Amazon, it was quite a bit cheaper delivered than it was at Dymocks at the time of Rick's link. Thinks might have changed since then though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am reading the new "Understanding Exposure 3rd edition" by Bryan Peterson, OMG I finally understand how to obtain different DOF. The neighbours might think I am a bit strange setting up a tripod in the backyard and taking lots of pics of boring flowers...

I am also starting to understand how the ISO, Aperture & Shutter Speed work with each other.

This book is great & I highly recommend it for NTP and I haven't even finished it yet.
    Cheers
    Jo

Canon 7D user on P Plates

CC is encouraged: No need to be gentle
    Don't be offended by my CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Third Views Second Sights
    Mark Klett

A greats book + CD on Rephotography.
    Rephotography is the method of taking picture of the same subject at different points in time to produce a " Then and Now " representation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    * removed : site rule breach : admin *
    Last edited by ricktas; 24-01-2011 at 6:07pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't got read yet, but i ordered the books" Magic Lantern for the 20D and Understanding Exposure" and can`t wait to get it on my doorstep to start reading it and hopefully improve my photographic skills!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast