User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: LED Monitors ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LED Monitors ?

Gotta get a new screen for my editing (The old one died) Just had a ring around And I now find you can get LED Screens , Any one used these for processing yet ? Or should I stick with LCD Help appreciated - Bill
    Last edited by William; 30-03-2011 at 11:53am.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LED and LCD screens are essentialy the same. The new 'LED' screens are a LCD screen being either backlit or edgelit by a series of LEDs. The older LCD screens are backlit or edgelit by a cold cathode tube (like a fluro). The term LED (Light Emitting Diode) is being used by marketing departments to catch the consumers out. The 'LED' screens are generaly better in luminosity and are less energy hungry.
    Mat.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] K-x, Sigma 18 - 125, Vivitar 100 - 300, RICOH KR10Super & KR10M (film), Filters, Tubes
    Flickr, RedBubble, Facebook

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For best colour you need to use an IPS (In-plane_switching) type screen.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD...hing_.28IPS.29
    http://www.pctechguide.com/ips-in-pl...g-lcd-monitors

Which means the Dell U series or Eizo http://www.eizo.com.au/

IPS have better more accurate colour, but are not as fast (refresh rate) as the cheaper 'gaming' TN screens
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is as Mat said, they with usually give you better contrast (better blacks) but I donĀ“t believe it will be a big change from standard, I too would sugest to focus in getting a IPS panel and/or wait for the Oled screens (without backlit) to enter the market, that is suposed to be a big improvement regarding blacks and contrast (each pixel lights)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic...emitting_diode

regards
    From the end of the World with a Nikon D90, Nikon 16/85 3.5-5.6 and Sigma 30 1.4
    Come and visit!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys, I really had no choice, I had to get one "NOW" Thanks for the tip on the IPS Screens Kym, Bit out of budget at the moment , Also thanks Mat and Patagonia, Been mucking all day with the interim one I got at a good price $150, 22 inch , "View Sonic" LED , VA 2238WM-LED , Just eyeballing the calibration with every concievabale Aplet and Colour Chart Gotta get /Or find a Calibration tool somewhere , Here's one I just did on the new screen, I'm not after critique , Just how do the shadows and colours look ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Thanks Guys, I really had no choice, I had to get one "NOW" Thanks for the tip on the IPS Screens Kym, Bit out of budget at the moment , Also thanks Mat and Patagonia, Been mucking all day with the interim one I got at a good price $150, 22 inch , "View Sonic" LED , VA 2238WM-LED , Just eyeballing the calibration with every concievabale Aplet and Colour Chart Gotta get /Or find a Calibration tool somewhere , Here's one I just did on the new screen, I'm not after critique , Just how do the shadows and colours look ?
    photo looks alright, but the real test comes when it is printed....

for another 60 bucks you could have bought the Dell Ultrasharp 21.5 inch IPS panel too, its on sale atm on their website, today is the last day I think

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jackie, I'll have a look and see what the Financial Controller says , My son would like this one , I bet , BTW , They are getting a lot cheaper at the monent I notice , Thats good Thanks again for the tip PS : I'm guessing your on a Calibrated screen ? - Bill
    Last edited by William; 31-03-2011 at 2:58pm. Reason: Added PS

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because we can't see what your screen shows ... this gets a little futile.

Looks like a nice seascape to me, yellow sun, purplish sky, tones look ok overall.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont print much at all Kym (Never), I was more worried how it looks on others Monitors on the web , Mainly this site , So I'm thinking if it's OK on my screen , And looks OK to others , That'll do