Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Question to the community on what camera I should choose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question to the community on what camera I should choose

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to photography. Ive been tossing up about getting a digital SLR for general photography as well as wanting one to be able to take sports shot of the kids so will need one to zoom and take multiple photos. I was in a retailer today and they had 2 packages I looked at. One had an EOS 1000D with twin lens ~ $800 and the other Nikon D3100 with twin lens ~$1,000. I had a look on DPreview.com and they said for both of these there were other cameras (non-mirror?) that were better equipped.

Now I'm confused. Do any of you know of a good starters package that will give me some zoom, good general photography, able me to take sports action shots and be around the $1,000 price range.

Thanks for any help.
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave, I now you are new, but what aspirations do you have, say in a year or two's time with your photography ? Do you want to advance or happy to stay quite casual about it ?

The reason i ask is that for $1000 both those pacakges are good value, but probably if you want to get more "serious" will be rather limiting eventually, it might be better to spend $1500 and go second hand and get say a D90, 18-135 and 70-300 or similar
    Last edited by kiwi; 30-03-2011 at 2:18pm.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1000D with 18-55mm IS and 55-250mm IS will do well to cover most ranges. I am not sure of the price here, I would get the 55-250mm over the 70-300mm III lens as the latter is pretty bad.
    These entry level cameras are good to learn the basics and the lenses will be decent quality. It is easy to move to better lenses or bodies when you know what you want (thats why buying second hand is a good idea, you lose less on re sale).
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7