Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ctl-alt-del error

recently I've been getting this ctl-alt-del error message at start up, its becoming more frequent and my old desk top often needs rebooting to get it to work. My brief investigations seem to indicate it has something to do with a drive error.
    Question is, is it time for a new HDD ?
    ( currently I'm using an old 80 Gig, backing up onto Ext HDD's)
    With the price of HDD's now days should I get one for the operating system and install another for storage or put my $'s into just one large capacity drive?
    any advice appreciated
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HAH!! This is interesting. Mine freezes up a couple of times when 1st started in the morning, with sometimes a flicker of a blue screen.
    Then it's stable for the rest of the time.
    Um??
    CC, Image editing OK.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its older than 3 years the reliability will drop off. How much data (images?) can you afford to lose?

New system time methinks!
    Last edited by Kym; 29-03-2011 at 11:10am.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Kym (unless you have the factory restore disks)
    Steve
    The more we live, the more we see.

Canon EOS 7D with Canon EFS 10-22 US, Canon EFS 18-55, Canon EFS 55-250 plus Tiffen full ND filters 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9. Digital darkroom of SONY Vaio and Adobe Master Collection CS5.
    Ikelite underwater housing with dome and straight ports.

Steve Munro, Cinematographer and underwater camera operator.
    www.wide-angle.tv And Redbubble

Who me?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I'm thinking more and more about a new system, I've been tinkering with this one since about '03, probably time for an upgrade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbax View Post
    .............. I've been tinkering with this one since about '03, probably time for an upgrade.
    '03? It's a youngster! I am still running a Intel 800Mhz built especially for me by a shop in Cairns in Feb 2000. Still running strong...never misses a beat. Only 'upgrades' to it are an ATI Radeon 9200SE video card, an extra 256 Meg of memory (total of 512)...both in around 2005 to make Flight Sim 2004 run a bit better..... and a Dlink wireless network card (added around 2007).
    Admittedly it is not my main PC and since 2007 it only runs two cameras (a CCTV and an Olympus c730), both used as 'webcams', but it still starts up every day and will run quite happily for 10 to 12 hours per day and with XP SP1 it runs VM95 (for the Olympus) and Conquercam (for the CCTV) plus AV and Firewall software...so I guess it isn't over stressed!
    Last edited by wanderer51; 29-03-2011 at 11:39pm.
    Canon 550D/7D - Canon 24mm IS USM - Sigma 10-20mm - Canon 15-85 IS USM - Sigma 28-300mm | RS60E3 cable remote | B&W ND110, Hoya CPL, ND2, ND8, Cokin P series H250A GND 'kit' | An embarrassingly cheap SLIK tripod.
    Software: PS CS5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    since 03??? Im surprised the little door to the firebox where you load the coal to operate the steam engine hasnt fallen off already!!

Adrian Fischer
    Brisbane, Australia

Gear: Nikon D80, D300, Nikon 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 105mm f2.5, 18-200 VR, 70-200 VR, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8, Sigma 50-500, Tonkina 12-24 f4, SB-600, various YongNuo Strobes, various umbrellas, 6 x 300w studio flashes, various softboxes, reflectors, stands, transmitters and receivers.

Who me?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Fischer View Post
    since 03??? Im surprised the little door to the firebox where you load the coal to operate the steam engine hasnt fallen off already!!

LOL yep its had some new bits and pieces over that time, new motherboard, power supply, more RAM etc. I kind of enjoyed keeping the old beast turning over, but I think times about up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Fischer View Post

Sorry David You can get very cheap ones at West Burleigh Shopping centre, Bare Bones ones , From FTC Computors in the centre http://www.ftc.com.au/Price%20lists/System.pdf Good and local , Recomended by me
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Who me?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Sorry David You can get very cheap ones at West Burleigh Shopping centre, Bare Bones ones , From FTC Computors in the centre http://www.ftc.com.au/Price%20lists/System.pdf Good and local , Recomended by me
    Thanks for that Bill, I might duck over the border and check them out ...soon, Bare Bones is what I'm after and build on it over time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest getting the largest single drive you're happy with. If you want the separation of system from data then you can partition the one drive.

Also are you aware that there are various classes of HDDs?

Ranges from 'green' low power drives like Western Digital 'Green' series (a little slower than average), to run-of-the-mill (usually the cheapest ones) drives like Western Digital 'Blue' series, to higher spec drives like Western Digital 'Black' series. Then if you're really keen you can go for the Raptor high speed drives ($$$).

Of course there's also the possibility of going solid state ($$$$$$$).

Whatever you choose make sure you have a reliable backup strategy in place to cope with the new expanded primary storage you'll end up with.
    Last edited by pjc; 29-03-2011 at 3:16pm. Reason: added re backup
    Cheers, Peter

Canon 50D | EF-S18-200 | Sunpac Auto 383 Super | Manfrotto 190/141RC + monopod | ND8 & CPL filters | Seagull rightangle viewer | Kenko extension tubes
    Wish list: Sigma 50 1.4, EF100 2.8L, EF70-200 2.8IIL, EF2xIII and something at the ultra-wide end this year. Oh yeah, I'll need a bigger bag also!!

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found my on-board battery is not holding charge overnight. It's cheaper than a new system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You put the Mocca's on me David, I should/nt have laughed, My LCD Screen just died this morning Well the computor boots up , But no power to the screen , Was running alright last night, No power light this morning , Not even standby , I've checked the Leads , Anyone got a clue , Otherwise I'll see you at FTC

Who me?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    You put the Mocca's on me David, I should/nt have laughed, My LCD Screen just died this morning Well the computor boots up , But no power to the screen , Was running alright last night, No power light this morning , Not even standby , I've checked the Leads , Anyone got a clue , Otherwise I'll see you at FTC
    Sorry to hear that Bill, I'll probably pop into FTC and have a look on the weekend, It took 12 reboots to get it up and running this morning , busily backing up the kids music and stuff, Mines already done
    Last edited by dbax; 30-03-2011 at 10:44am. Reason: sppelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm busy ringing around now, Then I have to find someone with a Calibration tool PS: I'm on young William's Pooter at the moment
    Last edited by William; 30-03-2011 at 11:16am.