User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: focus rails for stacking??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

focus rails for stacking??

I would like to get in to focus stacking and need some advice on focusing rails and (as per usual) I have ended up confused!!

I have a Manfrotto 804 RC2 tripod and a Nikon D90.
    I have done a search on the net and have found the following:

Manfrotto micro positioning plate but reviews say it wobbles and is @ $215

Velbon Super Mag which seemed to have good reviews. It is about $200 as well plus a 12 months aus warranty.

Then there is a 4-way slider for about $40 from Link Delight (huge price difference!!)
    I have also looked at the Kirk and Right Stuff sliders but I am not sure that I can afford them

Has anyone got any of these rails? This may sound a silly question but do you need more equipment to make these things fit on the tripod??
    Any help would be much appreciated
    D610 and D90 with a 16-35mm f/4,a 70-200mm f/4 ,a 300mm f/4 +TC11 convertor, 18-200mmDX and 85mm micro Dx.

Sally...CC always appreciated

My Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/salnel

Photographer Extraordinaire
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Sally. As you know, I use the Link Delight 4 way slider. This one has the standard 1/4" Whitworth thread like most tripods use. If the Nikon D90 fits on you tripod then so will the slider.
    I would suggest that the Link Delight will do the job quite effectively until you get skilled enough to progress to subjects much smaller than mosquitos.

There is a new slider on the market called Stackshot. It is the holy grail of sliders. http://www.cognisys-inc.com
    It is electronic and will automatically do all the stepping for you. But, it comes at a price..... over US$500 for the rail, about US$90 for a cable release to go fro it to the camera, and extra if you want to connect it and control it from Zerene Stacker.
    Packaging and shipping is a further US$70 plus Australian duties when it lands in Australia. Wow. It is getting fairly expensive.

The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera - Anonymous

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks John..The Link one sounds perfect as a starter (and the price is right). I really didn't want to spend a fortune at this stage being a beginner at just about everything AND not having very much equipment as yet but I am really interested in this focus stacking. I had a look at your flowers and they are wonderful..I like the idea of getting a sharp flower but not having to use F22 etc! That Stackshot sounds brilliant (what did you say about Tatts Lotto).
    Sometimes there is just too much info on the net and it becomes very confusing!
    Thanks so much for all your help

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Velbon and really I have to say that it's pretty dismal.

I now use two of the Manfrotto slide plates that gives me X&Y movement and they're rock solid.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks,Jim...don't think I want a dismal one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

I have two Manfrotto 454's that give me X & Y movement as well. They were the only ones that I found to lock down tightly. You can either fit all your gear straight onto them or use quick release plates.

Regards.