User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  13
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .....so do you " do " weddings??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I'd love to see some of this Macro wedding photography .. but then again I'm probably more fussy when it comes to descriptions of genres.

I'm not entirely convinced on the merit of comment that wedding photography is the ultimate test of professional photography .. I've seen many professional photography genres that appear to be a lot harder to conquer than weddings, but once again, I believe I have a broader mindset when it comes to photography, and that is, I don't just concentrate on aspect of photography whether it's done as a profession, concerted hobby activity or spontaneous endeavour.
    Think of ring shots, jewellery etc, close ups like that, thought it was a bit obvious to u

I believe wedding photography is the hardest test as you are shooting for someone's future with only 1 shot at it, you are under pressure and demands to constantly deliver, and usually a lawsuit or an appearance on ACA or Today Tonight or career suicide in your local area if you stuff it up. Hey if you guys know of something that incorporates more genres into a day's shoot, and is harder mentally and physically let me know, Im just giving my opinion here.

I believe there are physically and mentally harder gigs, like being an embedded journalist traveling with a front line unit in Iraq in 2003 or being in the midst of a global disaster. But that is different, and not something that is easily accessible to everybody and most people would never get the chance to play photojournalist. With weddings, anyone can be a wedding photographer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done quite a few now- one of the things Marianne and I are learning are to take on that privelege and share in the happiness as part of the day - that has helped us relax and shoot without so much pressure on ourselves worrying about technicalities - the technical aspects we have largely sorted in order to make sure the necessary images are taken for the day, and the rest of it is trying to have fun sharing the day with the Bridal part & guests. I do really like the shoot on the day but I must admit, the PP grind afterward does get very tedious especially when coming home to do it after a day of the regular work. Can't see myself doing any more than the 1 every month or so that we get at maximum. I'd rather be attempting to run landscape workshops!
    Last edited by Dylan & Marianne; 27-03-2011 at 12:49pm.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the wedding link...what a fun couple and fun day....thanks for sharing.
    CC is welcomed & appreciated

5d Mark II

Photography by nature is spiritual, considering it comes from the darkness to show the light.
    - Kevin Russo

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    Think of ring shots, jewellery etc, close ups like that, thought it was a bit obvious to u.......
    LOL Jackie .. I've never considered closely focused images in the same genre as macro, where macro is clearly defined as 1:1 reproduction ratio, but loosely regarded to encompass magnifications of up to 1:3.

Physically, just about anything is difficult for myself, as I have a slight disability to take into consideration. Mental stress is something I've never really experienced in photography related terms, so I can't really help in that sense.

As for the notion that you are shooting for someone's future, having now been there, and elsewhere, and so with the benefit of hindsight behind me, I can assure you that this is not the big deal that many folk seem to think it is(in the grand scheme of marriage, family, and the future prospects that relate to this entire journey. The images captured during the wedding ceremony itself generally have a very short 'half life' when compared to all the other aspects that make for a successful(or not) family future. They'll get stored in an prominent space in the image storage receptacle, until kids come along, and as the family album size increases over the medium term the first thing that gets relegated to the suitcase under the bed(due to increasing space demands and limited availability of such) is the wedding albums. Then on the other hand after separation, the fight then turns to who's taking responsibility over specific assets, and the wedding album doesn't ever rate a mention.
    This is just a single perspective as to this apparent importance that wedding photography really has as an overall impact on the future of a prospective couple/family.

As for physically more demanding pro photography.. many sports/wildlife photography situations that I've seen make wedding photography seem like a lazy evening at a spa resort by comparison. In fact, a few images I've personally seen by our member HelmutK and the difficult conditions he had to deal with to get them is probably something I'm sure you'd never want to deal with.
    For a more mentally difficult task(that I know of, not done personally) is one of a pro photographer that posted images of the dead sea scrolls a few years back and the mental challenge of getting the images to an acceptable level for a large world wide scientific community within a limited time frame.
    (I know form his brief technical explanation, that this in itself would have done my head in to the point where I'd have given up sooner rather than later).

I understand what you are trying to imply, and I'm not simply contradicting with the notion that wedding photography is easy ... I know I couldn't do it(physically) for more than a few hours(disability limitation!).. but it's far from the most difficult or stressful pro photography experience.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    LOL Jackie .. I've never considered closely focused images in the same genre as macro, where macro is clearly defined as 1:1 reproduction ratio, but loosely regarded to encompass magnifications of up to 1:3.

Physically, just about anything is difficult for myself, as I have a slight disability to take into consideration. Mental stress is something I've never really experienced in photography related terms, so I can't really help in that sense.

As for the notion that you are shooting for someone's future, having now been there, and elsewhere, and so with the benefit of hindsight behind me, I can assure you that this is not the big deal that many folk seem to think it is(in the grand scheme of marriage, family, and the future prospects that relate to this entire journey. The images captured during the wedding ceremony itself generally have a very short 'half life' when compared to all the other aspects that make for a successful(or not) family future. They'll get stored in an prominent space in the image storage receptacle, until kids come along, and as the family album size increases over the medium term the first thing that gets relegated to the suitcase under the bed(due to increasing space demands and limited availability of such) is the wedding albums. Then on the other hand after separation, the fight then turns to who's taking responsibility over specific assets, and the wedding album doesn't ever rate a mention.
    This is just a single perspective as to this apparent importance that wedding photography really has as an overall impact on the future of a prospective couple/family.

As for physically more demanding pro photography.. many sports/wildlife photography situations that I've seen make wedding photography seem like a lazy evening at a spa resort by comparison. In fact, a few images I've personally seen by our member HelmutK and the difficult conditions he had to deal with to get them is probably something I'm sure you'd never want to deal with.
    For a more mentally difficult task(that I know of, not done personally) is one of a pro photographer that posted images of the dead sea scrolls a few years back and the mental challenge of getting the images to an acceptable level for a large world wide scientific community within a limited time frame.
    (I know form his brief technical explanation, that this in itself would have done my head in to the point where I'd have given up sooner rather than later).

I understand what you are trying to imply, and I'm not simply contradicting with the notion that wedding photography is easy ... I know I couldn't do it(physically) for more than a few hours(disability limitation!).. but it's far from the most difficult or stressful pro photography experience.
    But Arthur, my point was about the acessibility of wedding photography and how it is hard as it incorporates a lot of genres, many of those who focus or excel solely in 1 genre tend to, and have found it hard when they switched over to do wedding photography because instead of knowing and being good at 1 thing, you now have to take into account many other things - not to mention the mother of all professional wedding photography - COMMUNICATIONS SKILLS - being a professional at photography in varying aspects does not mean you possess the quality to communicate, command and control crowds or demanding people. Its not for the shy or introverted.

As for the notion that you are shooting for someone's future, having now been there, and elsewhere, and so with the benefit of hindsight behind me, I can assure you that this is not the big deal that many folk seem to think it is(in the grand scheme of marriage, family, and the future prospects that relate to this entire journey. The images captured during the wedding ceremony itself generally have a very short 'half life' when compared to all the other aspects that make for a successful(or not)
    I know that its not important in the grand scheme of things, 30-40 years later. But we are talking about the now, and the aftermath - people and clients these days are much more consumer savvy and demand quality for their products if they are paying big bucks for it. Being sued or going to air over accusations was such a rarity decades ago over wedding photography, but its a common practice these days. If you fail!

In fact, a few images I've personally seen by our member HelmutK and the difficult conditions he had to deal with to get them is probably something I'm sure you'd never want to deal with.
    with all due respect to him, however it may seem hard - its not really an open and easily accessible job or hobby to many. Yeah Ive stalked animals and humans during my time hunting and in the Army and to 'shoot' them, but that is more so patience and technical skills. It really it a very focused genre. I dont think he has to deal with other external factors like people talking to him or telling him what to do or run by a timetable. Given that wildlife and hunting shots may only have a small time frame to capture something, you can just repeat it over and over. The wildlife expert does not have to conjure up something creative, or make something from nothing happen.

As above, another solely technical photoshoot, get it right - and just rinse and repeat, and repeat, and repeat. It is also very focused on achieving a very specific task, unless the said photographer wanted to add some creativity, by tilting some shots, desaturate some pics, make a snazzy collage out of it

In summary, there are those who handle pressure and expectations much better than others, but it is something that has to be developed - you cant expect to handle anything well your first time around. So I will say that if you would like to try weddings, go out and try it and learn how to handle pressure and improve upon it. Who knows, you might end up really good at weddings, or handling pressure and be a general one day

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trust me Whodo......I am running as fast as I can! After reading the last two posts.... they have totally scared me off! I have seen the crying bride, screaming MIL and the stoned groomsmen......as well as the disappearing groom ( but we were laying odds on him finding the groomsmen )
    I dont fancy trying to work with them.......

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the end of the day, if you're not comfortable shooting someone's wedding, decline the invitation.

Without meaning any disrespect to your abilities as a photographer, just because someone owns a camera does not mean that person is fit to be a wedding photographer, in much the same way that owning a scalpel doesn't mean one is fit to perform surgery.

Jackie is right in that being a wedding photographer is far more about communication than photography, but clearly you need to be able to do both, and do them well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may be a doctor but you definitely don't want a scalpel in my hands for instance
    Just like many photographers -they can take photographs but you defintiely don't want some ( and they don't want to be ) at a wedding doing the pro shots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jan
    Happy to work with you - you can 2nd for me until you have the confiidence and then i'll 2nd for your first few (its bnice to have back up for your first few)
    I'm close if you getting asked we can work together...
    Jeff - Jeff D Photography
    Canon -
    http://jeffdphoto.ifp3.com/
    www.jeffdphotography.com.au

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your a game man Jeff! pm sent
    cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice offer Jeff
    Photoshop CS4 and lightroom 2 (lI know a little bit but am learning )
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated
    Feel free to re work my images, just please let me know what you did, and how you did it so I can learn
    Stu .
    my website
    my gallery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be afraid Jan, just be confident in your abilities and willing to learn. Jackie does a few things really well besides being creative, and one aspect of that is using his communication skills and getting the couple comfortable and relaxed so that the photos just flow. Having had the chance to work with him I can honestly say that once you see it done that way its far better than the alternative approaches you see. You just have to be confident that given the situation you can get the technical aspects right, and the rest really flows provided you have the right mindset, personality and are creative enough to stand out. The ability to organise people while still remaining polite is definitely a positive skill to have.

I've done a few weddings as first tog, a few as second and have done some unofficial photos where there have been dramas with the wedding photographer or I have been asked by a close friend (refuse to work for a close friend in an official capacity as I feel too involved in the situation). And I have enjoyed those opportunities greatly and enjoyed the priveledge of shooting a day that means alot (even if the results may not in time). I tend to agree with Jackie that part of the attraction is the versatility of shooting required in order to cover a wedding, I tend not to agree monsigneur AK wth respect to wildlife and sports though. You are generally shooting with a single, fixed focal/long focal length lens, and the greatest difficulty is just dealing with light and happening to stumble on the animal, or keeping track of the moment in sports. But your not having to adjust where you are anywhere near as much as a wedding. Its a rare day that a wildlife photographer changes to a wide angle, a macro and a portrait lens as well as a long lens in the space of a few hours, and even the very best get few opportunities for this. Not trying to take anything away from the degree of difficulty, but do feel these ares lack the versatility that a wedding has to offer.

Either way, its worth a try to see how you go as a second photographer, if you don't like it then you know, and will know at least you have tried it.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricstew View Post
    Dunno......maybe if I could set up some pre wedding stuff ........
    That sounds good - i've tried to coordinate some friends to do it, and we can't find time together to do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After 100+ weddings over the last 4-5 years, I'm having a break from them.

You have to love it otherwise (like any job) it's a little bit soul destroying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my 2c on comparing shooting weddings with other genres.
    The pressure for me at weddings is the pressure of getting the right shots, at the right moment at the right angles, technically correct and for someone else.The pressure for me when shooting landscapes for any given light is that like weddings, I may only ever have the one shot at it (for a given scene with given lighting on the day), but unlike weddings, I can feel free to experiment as much as I want. I still feel disappointed if I didn't nail that shot from that location, but knowing that I'm the only one who will be disappointed just takes that much pressure off.

Different pressures, different skills and different mindset.
    Both just as challenging for me and personally, the reward for a great landscape shoot is more intrinsic whereas the reward for a great wedding shoot is the pleasure of seeing others happy with your work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12