User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  16
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Council sponsered photo shoot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no - costs nothing to get an ABN ( as far as I recall)
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep! ABN's are free and can be easily arranged on-line in about ten minutes. And there's no ongoing management required. If you don't use it the ATO will contact you after about ten years but the number will always be allocated to you.
    Last edited by Redgum; 31-03-2011 at 6:02pm.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, then any old popcorn like me can get an ABN and stick it on stuff without actually running a business?
    Argh, and I was thinking ABN makes a dodgy website somehow legit...

how do you 'use' an ABN? eg in the OP's case the council will quote this ABN. The OP won't pay tax on income since it's under 20k. What happens to that council's $300?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're confusing the ABN with GST. These are two separate issues. An ABN needs to be quoted on any invoice you may issue otherwise the contractor will withhold 48.5% of the amount due to you for the ATO.
    You only need to apply for GST when your annual income is expected to pass $50k for the business. Over $75k it's compulsory I think. With GST you need to do regular returns to the ATO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As said theres ABN, then registering a business (if necessary) and GST and they are all independent things although there are links between them, ie to register a business you need an ABN and also for GST I believe.

And you don't NEED to register a business if you carry on a business in your own name (read the rules) and you dont NEED to charge GST, but there are specifics you need to display on any invoice
    Last edited by kiwi; 31-03-2011 at 6:22pm.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To do business you need an ABN. It doesn't matter at all if you are an individual (using your own name) or a registered business. If you don't have an ABN nearly half of your invoiced amount MUST be retained by the CONTRACTOR and sent to the ATO. You get this money back when you lodge your tax return. So you see, having an ABN is much easier. When you register a BUSINESS (Sole Trader, Partnership or Company) an ABN will issue. GST is voluntary for most businesses with turnover under $75k per annum (this amount needs checking as it changes from time to time.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do some shoot & burn (no editing at all- hand over RAW files) for 2 of QLD Govt largest departments. I started working with one of them, and that networking led to the second dept contacting me. In a nutshell, I charge them $150/hr for total time spent including travel between home the location and back. They love it!

For me, it is interesting work sometimes and I do a fair bit of travel for one of them which equates to easy $$, but they are simple to deal with and with no editing, it is what I see as easy money. I won't get rich doing it, but it gives me something to do on my days off and offsets the cost of my gear. I would agree with those who have said $300 is fair for your proposed project provided it is as simple as it should be, but make sure you include in any quote, an additional hourly rate pro rata for additional time beyond the original brief.

Councils, although greedy and fast to collect $$ never like handing it over, however if you got greedy, they will have little trouble I think in finding a hobbyist who will do it for less.

I would be interested if the council is expecting as part of your statement of supply, a copy of your public liability policy with council named? They should be if they are doing things by the book, but this may be a way for them to save $$ because someone with the cost for that policy may want somewhat more $$.
    Last edited by Wayne; 31-03-2011 at 7:09pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Health and Education, Wayne? I'm lead consultant to EQ for all things video and photographic so can I let them know you're happy to work for less?
    Government departments love travel and it's nothing to do 4000/5000k's in a week with a number of projects going, especially video conferencing.
    The old story, keep your rates at the right level and the work will continue.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This thread is getting way off topic. State government departments are not local councils and the contracts or dealings members have with them has nothing to do with the thread topic. All future posts that are not related to the original topic will be removed
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, back again after the local event shoot.

The event ran as scheduled, well organized and attended. It was the launch of local youth artwork (http://www.hobsonsbay.vic.gov.au/Pag...ge_Id=6191&h=0)
    Four young artists had created work that was printed onto large flags that are hanging beside the local skate park in Queens St, Altona Meadows.

My job was to photograph the proceedings, including speeches, presentations, general activity and a demo by the local kids on bikes and scooters at the skate park.

BMX.jpg

In all a fun afternoon. About 1 1/2 hours on site and about 1 hours for a basic cull, edit and burn to DVD.
    The biggest challenge was working with the kids on bikes as they flipped and rolled through the air. Getting in close as they did 360's, back and front flips was exhilarating.

All work was done with fill flash from the SB600, as it was a very dull overcast afternoon. This made a big difference to all images.

Payment will be 7 days from my invoice which will be dropped off tomorrow with the DVD of images. Although its not a lot of money it all helps and I expect that further work will come along.
    What is satisfying is the cooperation and enthusiasm from the people who make all these activities happen, most of these are volunteers with some full-time council arts people.

Another thing I learnt is that working with flash in this environment is both a challenge and lots of fun. I can see some of the earnings heading towards some more flash gear.
    I reckon the skaters would only be to happy to have some more photos taken.

Another council project I am involved in is taking images of disabled people learning to sail. These guys have done a 10 week learn to sail course with the aim to come back and continue learning and maybe even compete one day. This was arranged through my camera club and the council. Funding is provided to the club for the project and we volunteer to make and produce the images.
    The feedback from this project was amazing and very gratifying.

Boat.jpg

Nikon D300, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200vr II f2.8, 18-200vr, Lensbaby, 50 f1.8, SB600, Tokina 12-24 f4, TC2.0e III, Kenko TC 1.4

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great story all round, well done Chris.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MARK L

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update Chris. It sounds like a win all round.
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123