Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: MACRO light/flash advice needed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MACRO light/flash advice needed

Hi guys,

I have been asked to take photos of flora for a local biodiversity project I am involved with.
    I have a decent amount of experience with macro work, mainly filming. I will be using my canon 100mm f2.8 macro on my 7D.

Many of the photos then need to be sent to an illustrator to be drawn up for signs that will be provided along walking tracks. I will therefore need to be shooting at around f5.6 or higher (to capture as much detail as possible) which will limit available light.

I was therefore wondering if anyone could recommend a cheap macro light/flash setup. I have spent a lot of money on gear lately so i only really have a budget of around $100

I have see the Canon MR14EX and MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite Ringlite Flash and would love to have them but they are just too expensive at this stage.

Any help would be great.

cheers
    adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Adam,

Try this I have one and it works very well,ETTL, Guide number 14 and you can't beat the price. You could also search ebay for "ring flash" there are a number of LED types but I don't know how well they work as compared to the normal flash type.

Steve
    Last edited by SteveK; 25-03-2011 at 3:37am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sunpak 622 has a ringflash option, with a high guide number. You would need to check the trigger voltage to see that it's safe for your camera.
    Alive and still clicking - apologies to PSQ.
    Living and working in the Roaring Forties
    Assorted cameras of all sizes and shapes including Pentax K (the original), MX, Z1,K20D; 50mm 1.2, 35mm 2.0, 85mm 1.8

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    Hi Adam,

Try this I have one and it works very well,ETTL, Guide number 14 and you can't beat the price. You could also search ebay for "ring flash" there are a number of LED types but I don't know how well they work as compared to the normal flash type.

Steve
    Thanks steve this is the kind of thing I am looking for...

what is about the maximum distance you can stand from the subject with this flash? would it be powerful enough for portrait photography as well?

Do i just need to clip it onto my hotshoe and go from there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Adam,

I have never tried it on portraits only macro. It has the same guide number as the Canon MR14EX but only 1 flash tube in the head so it can't be switched to give left or right light. There are no adjustments on the flash unit, only an on/off switch.
    According to a guide chart that I have f2.8 @ISO 100 will give a distance of 1.5M. Increase the ISO to 400 and you would be looking at 3.0M. It's somewhat limited in power, but ideal for macro work.

It's a cheap option to the Canon MR14EX, same power, not as adjustable, can't be used as a slave flash, recycle time I would think lower. But it's about 1/5th the cost.

It just goes onto the Hot Shoe as per any other flash and the flash head screws onto the lens (where filters screw on) via the adapter rings.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I would use (if on a budget) 430EX speedlite, + of camera cord (can get this generic one $30 off ebay) Then just use fill flash technique for lighting. I find that at longer working distances the flash mounted onto the lens produces harsh and flat light which is not very nice.
    Holding the flash in one hand and the camera in the other and filling in flash I think would be the best result here.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7