User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you photograph and why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am only new to Photography after picking it back up from a long time away from the lens.

I absolutely love architecture, people (not formal but more the average Jo Blo on the street or in different countries), landscapes and cars. I enjoy bold colours and unusual perspectives/angles.

That being said, I personally haven't been out there alot to do these....I did go to Clipsal V8's on the weekend and it blew me away and I didn't want to stop photographing cars. We are in a car club, so I will have many opportunities to do this during the year.

I need to get into the city BY MYSELF (not with kids!) to walk around and get all those interesting buildings and people. Even to meet up with someone who likes to take photos would be good (safety in numbers).

I am always looking out for a photo opp even if I don't have my camera! I tend to travel the same roads back and forth (to work and to school), so sometimes I need to get out on the weekend and go a different route looking for interesting things.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure I've shot enough yet to really qualify, but I hope to focus on landscapes, nature and astro. I'm with ColdBlood for all the same reasons, especially the 'drawing as a child' thing; I was exactly the same. But more than that I've been in the wild since I was a kid, hiking, camping, climbing, kayaking, sailing etc. You see so many wonderful sights...mother nature provides astonishing scenes herself and I love to capture all the feelings from a seascape sunset to an early mist over a Scottish moor. Beautiful.

Plus, I'm dreadful at portraits! Can't do em; thy never come out well and again similar to ColdBlood, trying to create a picture (setting a pose for example) is so much harder than capturing what's there. Bring on nature and wildlife and the moon and stars, love it :-)
    Andy

Nikon D7000, 70-200mm (newly obtained...no pictures up shot with it yet)
    Olympus E-420, 14-42mm, 18-180mm, 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 (shutter has died on this one )

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrDooba View Post
    Do you have a subject matter which is your main focus photographically and why do you choose to photograph it?
    At the moment I'm not shooting much of anything, but my photographic interests include seascapes, landscapes, cityscapes, portraits and still-life.

When shooting 'scapes, I'm fussy about light, opting for dawn and dusk (and surrounding times) or complete darkness.

I like the light, the effect of long exposures on clouds and water, and the sense of space and place.

Re portraits, people are interesting, and their eyes can tell a story or convey an emotion.

Like many I started by shooting anything and everything, but I eventually found what I liked, and also found what I didn't like. There are some subjects I won't shoot at all, as I have no interest in them, either as a person or as a photographer.

My view is that the most successful or pleasing images are those captured by a skilled photographer who has engagement with the subject.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like action, and a i like to freeze it so I can appreciate that moment.
    First showed interest in photography when i would start taking the camera off my dad because i thought he wasn't doing a good job, haha.
    But some time later, developed my interest more when i wanted to photograph large swells hitting the coast.
    When i see large surf, with people out there braving it, I am fascinated by it, and love to capture it to share with others.
    Probably helps that I enjoy surfing myself.
    And from there i think i developed my appreaciation for light, and all things beautiful. (sounds lame )
    Still don't think there is a better view in the world than when you paddle up over the shoulder of a wave, watching a spitting barrel curling towards you with someone inside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first i thought i was going to shoot birds,then i found i really enjoy taking candid shots of people,
    because no two pics will ever be the same,whereas in landscapes, its all been done before.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colinc1 View Post
    At first i thought i was going to shoot birds,then i found i really enjoy taking candid shots of people,
    because no two pics will ever be the same,whereas in landscapes, its all been done before.
    Still, no two images will be the same.

Photographically, there's very little that hasn't already been done before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like photographing almost anything - I am getting a lot of practice trying to get a good pic I am not so keen on portraiture/people shots except the grandbabies So in the last 3 weeks I have shot a Baby Shower, Hens Night, part of a Wedding & have a pregnancy shoot on Sunday - all love jobs.
    By far my favourite is Macro I am realy interested in the fine details of flowers, bugs etc. Top of my wish list is a Macro lens.
    Barbara

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wandapics_photography

K-x. Sigma 18-125mm 1:3.8 - 5.6 DC HSM, Sigma 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 Macro, Sigma 100-300mm 1:4.5-6.7 DL. Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash,
    MZ-60. Adobe Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After discovering the joys of a 50mm prime lens, I am re-addicted to shooting... anything. last weekend was a body building show and some post-production fun. This weekend there is an 18th birthday, a horse shoot and a nature group, with a dash of seaside and some product shot practice. I am having such a good time that I don't want to come down! I even take my baby to work and shoot every chance I get. Yep I've got it bad, but it feels soooo good!

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread mrDooba

I deal with people all week, the last thing I want to do during the off time is deal with more people.....unless they're doing something fast or exciting. So glamour, portraits, wedding etc are last on the list. In fact I'd probably burst into tears and curl up in the fetal position if I woke up one day and realised I was a wedding photographer. lol.

My personal escape is to nick off in the 4wd or boat for a day,, or 2, or 3. Usually to a secluded fishing spot, either on my own or with a mate or 2. Which also suits the photography agenda as it leads to nature, wildlife, birds etc. I've only recently taken photography a bit more serious due to the prompting from a couple of mates. One does regular articles for one of the fishing mags, the other does a fair bit of random freelance stuff and stints as a presenter on Nat Geo TV. I'm glad they kept throwing me their gear saying, here have a go of this. It took a while, but it's got me sucked in now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a newbie so I shoot anything..and everything..I find I go through phases though. For eg. when the ferris wheel came to Geelong, I was keen to get some shots..which turned into weeks of night photography. Then I visited a friend with a totally gorgeous 1 year old, so that turned into weeks of portraiture..some posed, some candid. While I was over there visiting I was playing outside with the little miss and she was in awe of a little family of bugs in her backyard...so the macro lens came out and I spent weeks in gardens. Have recently been doing a lot of weekend traveling to Bendigo .. I usually head home around the same time on a Sunday and for weeks I always seemed to be in the same area during sunset..vast open paddocks, deep magenta/purple sky, and it looked amazing every time..so that turned into weeks of trying my hand at landscape shooting. At the moment I'm in a portraiture phase...next week..WHO KNOWS!
    Tania

CC always welcome http://www.taniafernandesphotography.com.au/
    Canon 5d iii, Canon 7d, 50 f/1.8 II, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100 f/2.8 USM Macro

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like to try all types off photography
    at the moment i am doing a lot of macro to try and improve my shots
    and for the 52 week i am doing a lot of architecture shots
    when the local car club meets start again i will be doing them on sundays
    cheers macca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be amazing if everyone who actually replied saying that they actually took photos of this and that also posted these photos to AP..... You know who you are :-)
    Last edited by kiwi; 25-03-2011 at 8:23pm.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shoot anything and everything..but i favour landscapes.

theres just something that makes me feel right at home with them, simple yet beautiful. Most weekends if im not out on a job im at the various beaches and mountains in my area taking a sunrise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a pretty girl shooter.
    [- Instagram -]

Nikon Slave... (D90 & D300S)
    -- CCs extremely welcome, further editing of my photos is not. Thanks!

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I'm a pretty girl shooter.
    So does that mean you take photographs of pretty girls, or you're a pretty girl who takes photographs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shoot these because I can
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks Steve
    Winer of the sheep week 2 + 6
    www.atkimages.com.au "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough," ROBERT CAPA"
    Tokina 16-28 f2.8 PRO FX,Sigma 500 4.5 Ex DG, Canon 5D Mii, Canon 7D, Canon 2x converter,Canon 70-200 2.8 L,
    Sigma 120-300 2.8 EX, Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX, Canon 1.4x converter, Canon 580 ex 2 speed light
    And two canon kit Lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Landscape photographer here! I've assisted with weddings and studio shoots and cannot cope the stress associated with it; however, this is not to say I don't want to learn as I find it challenging and a great skill to acquire.

Taking landscape shots is relaxing and almost an adventure in its own way - researching the location, scouting the location, taking your time to compose the shot then waiting endlessly for the right lighting - I certainly find it more calming than the frantic that is of weddings and fashion shoots!

For example, I waited about four hours to get this shot in Broken Hill:

-Alan

D700 | D80 | 16-35 | 24-70 | 70-200 | 30 | 50 | 85

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to shoot nature stuff and landscapes. I like to get away from it all so it makes sence. Not into sports at all so it's unlikly that that is what i will shoot. I guess that people will shoot what they know and are comfortable with.
    jj

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite is people, any kind of people.
    every photo is different, a photo no one else has taken.
    It's also easy to get meaning from a photo with a person in it.
    I also like the interaction.

But I'll take most things like most people here, I just like to take photos.
    Canon 5D MKII, 17-40mm f/4L, 24-105mm f/4L, 17mm TS-E f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L
    135mm f/2L.
    Alien bee lights, Gitzo tripods, Adobe CS5

I find the single most valuable tool on my computer is my recycle bin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess, like most, I am an opportunist when it comes to photography. If the subject is appealing I try and capture the moment.

I love shooting people especially candid people/street images. I like to catch the person as natural as possible. I like the wide angle shots of landscapes and ocean that Australia has to offer - not always so easy to capture that golden hour though. More recently I have tried catching images of birds etc which presents a different challenge than the landscapes and give me an other focus between landscapes etc.

My greatest chanllenge is to shoot macro. I have tried many a time with my 100mm f/2.8 macro lens but the DOF etc has me beat for now.

No matter what I am photographing I just enjoy getting out there most of the time.
    cheers
    andy smylie

“It’s not the subject that you are photographing – it’s the light that is falling on the subject. That’s what’s important..” Vincent Versace

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast