Hi all,

I'm a Real Estate photographer currently into my second year of operation. I am presently in line to pick up some new contracts which will see me absolutely flat out and requiring an additional photographer. ** I am not posting a job, as I already have someone lined up for the work. **

My question is, what is the right amount to pay the contractor, who is operating as a sole trader, just starting out in the photography industry?

All that I will be requiring from the additional photographer is to look after one client in particular who will produce a high volume of work (11 - 20 properties per week) while i take care of the rest. The photographer will go in, do the shoots, bring the images back to my administrator who will then edit all the images, forward to the client and invoice.

The client is charged a "per property" rate.

Is there a rule of thumb on what to pay such contractors? Do i pay them a percentage of the property rate or do i pay a day or weekly rate based on the amount of properties that get shot as it may vary? Obviously, as this is my business I still need to make money from it; but how much is appropriate?

Thanks in advance for all your help!