User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: How to make a "note to self" in a folder using a Mac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to make a "note to self" in a folder using a Mac

Hi board members - I have been using a PC for an eon and when I want to make a "note to self" in a folder I alt click and select "new/text document" - too easy to make a note so that I remember something or maybe a reference to a file.

Now, however I use a iMac for my photography and now I want to follow Richard Hall's bird names for the images I've been taking - but I can't figure out how to make a note in an apple folder.

Anyone with the right idea - greatly appreciated
    Last edited by mal from cessnock; 22-03-2011 at 6:10pm.
    Cheers, Mal

crafthouse images - my Flickr

Canon EOS 5DM3, 7D and a modest collection of "L" goodies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stickies is one way, just like postit notes

Nikon D300, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200vr II f2.8, 18-200vr, Lensbaby, 50 f1.8, SB600, Tokina 12-24 f4, TC2.0e III, Kenko TC 1.4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got me wondering and I'm looking for a method. Yes Stickies will do what you want once opened but you want a keyboard shortcut to open it. That is what I can't figure out. I'll let you know when I do.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your brain power guys - I've come up with a clumsy fix (my daughter put me onto) - she said use the apple equivalent to notepad - "textedit" - but it's clumsy.

I open up a new textedit file and write me "readme" file and then the clumsy part is saving it to the specific folder I'm working with.

What we need is a shortcut here guys! I hope someone can figure it out - I'm pretty hopeless with apple operating systems, my forte is windows

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sort of.
    My idea was to create a keyboard shortcut that with just a key combination would open the program for you. It appears as not so easy in Mac unless you want to spend $29.95 to buy a program.
    However I stumbled on an old solution (10.4) that has possibilities. Basically what you do is Hold Command then press the space bar. This will open Spotlight. Type in te for Text Editor or st for Stickies and then press enter. This will open the required program. Type in what you want then go File, Save as. Now if it comes up with a downward pointing arrow to the right of the file name click on the arrow and you can select the exact file location you want the note.
    Best workaround I can figure.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter, will try it tomorrow after a well deserved sleep.

Thanks for your help - will respond tomorrow