Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SD card help with Canon EOS 550D

Folks,

I bought a 550D.

Initially I had ONE CD card, but after a while I thought it wise to get more cards.

In the manual it has "instructions" on how the camera deals with when you takeout/put a card. Be it the original or a new one.

My old 300D has this quirk that every time I put back even the same card, the numbering starts something else.

The 550D has an option (quickly looked in the manual's index and can't find it now) but so when you change cards, it changes numbering, but the same numbering for the same card.

Alas I've changed cards, but it is the same series of numbers as the other card.

I shall look though the manual again after posting but if anyone else can clarify to me what I think I read and what really happens.

Appreciated.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try here.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giggle, that is so cool.

Pages 140/141 are of interest but reading them it is confusing.

Although the camera supports 1 - 9999 the card/s I have won't hold that many.

What I was thinking would be nice would be that card 1 was - 999
    Card 2 was 1000 - 1999
    Card 3 was 2000 - 2999
    Card 4 was 3000 - 3999
    and so on.

Is that possible to make the camera do that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it comes to workflow, I don’t care what the number of the image is, so long as it doesn’t repeat within the same day, even then I can use the EXIF to resolve the problem.

May I ask why is the numbering is important to you?
    "We wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious. They stole it from us. Sneaky little hobbitses. Wicked, tricksy, false!"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, with the Canon, if you have File Numbering set to Continuous in the menu, the camera will always increment from the last number used, regardless of whether you use different cards or the same the card. BUT you have to format the card in camera before taking an image.
    If you use multiple cards and don't format before use the camera will recognise the last file number on the card and increment from that number.

So if you are getting continuous numbering on multiple cards (different number series on each card),that is because you are not formatting the card before use.

Or put another way, if you want to just have one continuous file number series, over multiple cards, you MUST format the card each and every time before use.
    Last edited by MarkChap; 23-03-2011 at 10:26am.
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark,

Thanks, but now I am more confused.

I didn't format the cards - any of them. I "hope" they are alrealdy formatted. Which they seem to be.

I take out card 1 and put in another.
    I think - sorry but I didn't really take any notice - but am sure it just continued.

I guess that is ok. I am not getting duplicate file names.

Gollum,
    It is a "problem" in that the card could stay in the camera for weeks/months.

Having a unique range for each card, if I am looking for an image again - say I accadently delete it, what ever - I know which card it came from by looking at the number.

I'll call Canon and ask them.

I just though I would ask here.