User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Kit lens D60

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kit lens D60

Please tell me if I am crazy or not - but I have decided to get rid of my two kit lens (neither has VR). I'm hopeful I can maybe sell them at a nominal price and put the money towards a good lens. That will leave me with a prime lens only.

My photos always seem to be soft when using the kit lens - I do love my prime (35mm) and the photos are always sharp; however I do need some type of telephoto lens for shooting landscapes, sport etc.

I know this question has been asked numerous times, so I will ask again - if you were me what lens would you buy(all those with experience can please recommend me a good lens?)

TIA

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artylady View Post
    however I do need some type of telephoto lens for shooting landscapes, sport etc.
    Could we have some indication of the types of landscapes and sport that you hope to be shooting. The difference in focal lengths needed between lawn bowls and surfing is rather large.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew, I regularly to go rugby league and soccer, and am (guessing) around 10 metres from sideline. As for landscapes, I generally just take whatever interests me - no specific topics. Thanks

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will go out on a bit of a limb and suggest that a Nikkor 28-300 would do the job quite nicely for you.
    There have been quite a few positive reviews on the net about the lens and it covers a fair bit of ground between (mid range to telephoto) landscapes as well as decent length for sports.

How deep are your pockets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    35mm should be wide enough for most landscapes

I wouldnt go with the 28-300 really (I would expect without having tested that its slow as a snail on codral), I'd prefer the 70-3000 VR for sport.

(you need to be a lot closer than 10m to the sideline though or youre wasting your time)
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated