User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: lens calibration

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lens calibration

So I have bought a new lens......it hasn't arrived yet ......a Sigma 50-150 2.8.....I was patiently waiting until someone said " make sure you get it calibrated to your body " huh? Does anyone one do this? I will if its seems dodgy but the plan is to stick it on the camera and fire away!
    But to get it calibrated I would need to send it and the camera off to ......somewhere?
    cheers
    Jan

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jan, which body is it going to be used on?

If and only IF there is a significant amount of lack of focus accuracy then the lens and body can be measured against each other and the lens can be adjusted to suit the body. Most good camera repair / service people can do that. The Sigma distributors in Australia can and will do it for you. If the lens is new and under warranty and displays significant bad focus they will rectify it for free, if it isn't under warranty they will charge you ( in my experience a fairly minimal cost considering the work done ). I asked about which body you are using it on because any minor focus issues should be able to be taken care of by your self if your body ( camera, that is ) has the micro adjust feature that many late models do have.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will use the Pentax KM/K2000 ( still saving for the k5......but I keep spending it lol ). The lens is new so I can send it back if there are major issues but hopefully not! I have no idea where I would send it to be calibrated but there must be someone in Sydney. Would I need to send the body? I suppose I should do a test when it arrives. Does anyone routinely calibrate a lens to a body? What if you are swapping lens's and bodies? I cant see how it can work if you had multiple bodies to use ( I wish! )