User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: LCD Screen Loupes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LCD Screen Loupes

I am aiming to purchase an LCD loupe so that I can more effectively use Live View for manual focussing (especially with my TS-E lens) outside in bright sunlight.

In my net research so far I've encountered products ranging from a US$6.95 adapted slide viewer(freight free for US citizens) to the US$1000 Zacuto EVF Pro and, hey, I don't do enough video work to warrant the outlay for the latter.

I've decided to bypass the Hoodman Cinema Kit 3.0 Pro which does have some useful features
    for its price but I don't like the strap method Hoodman uses to attach the loupe to the LCD screen.

So far, I've narrowed the list to the Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x ($385) and the LCDVF 2.0 ($148).
    I flicked the Zacuto 3.0x as a number of people say that it produces vignetted corners. The LCDVF
    is less than half the price of the Zacuto 2.5x.

The Zacuto does have a dioptre adjustment; the LCDVF does not. I do wear reading glasses. Should this be the deciding factor?

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has used either or both of these products (especially spec wearers).

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Babu

Q- do you want a device that will magnify the whole LCD image or a partial ... ie a smaller magnifier that you move around the screen?

Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Phil

I am really after a whole screen device at this point.
    However, a partial screen magnifying device such as you mention could have some interesting applications.
    Out of curiosity, I'd like to check out this possibility. Do you happen to have any leads?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day once more

I have just finished reading William's "Serious 7D kit" thread in which he posted a pic showing a 7D with a professional-looking video fitout.

In his response, James T recognised that the attachments were Zacuto products.

One of the loupes I'm considering is the one in that pic. So they are being used in Australia!
    Has any member of this forum used one?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What camera? Live view on many models allows you to 'zoom' the LCD view in, so you can check focus. Maybe check your manual and you might not have to spend a cent to get what you want
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick
    I'm aware that both the Canon 5D II and 7D allow "zooming" in live view but my prime objective is to negate the glare
    so that I can use the LCD as a viewfinder when shooting in bright sunlight - the fulltime 2x etc of a loupe is just a side benefit.

I've seen some shooters wearing basic loupes on lanyards and then placing them over the LCD to check whether they
    were satisfied with the shots. I'm hoping an attached loupe will allow me to have two hands to operate the camera
    and to be satisfied with what I'm seeing in the LCD before I press the trigger.

Do you have any advice on either of the two loupes I was considering in my original post?