50mm f/1.2 L up $219.00
    85mm f/1.2 L up $381.00

Definately some hefty jumps there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is mere opportunism!

The stock on shelves today would have left Japan long before the earthquake.

I think if people hold off for a few weeks, supply lines will be restored to normal etc as I don't believe any of the producers were affected directly. After a few weeks, the rush on the Yen will likely subside and it will go down to normal (or lower) levels.

A similar thing happened after Kobe - all industry was pretty much restored to normal within 2 months.

That was a far more devastating earthquake as it struck the heart of - and partially destroyed - a big, industrial area right next to Osaka. This one (and the tsunami) affected a far less industrial area.

The damage estimates (in $) have the two earthquakes at a similar $ cost (but Kobe was 15 years ago so, in real terms a far high cost).

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree, prices will return to normal in a couple of months. Things like discounted camera prices and the stock market react to the short-term stupidity of people who live in the moronosphere. Most people will remain on the planet's surface and when twits that have hiked up their prices realise their sales have fallen faster than a harlot's knickers (not Nikkors) things will return to normal.

On the defence of some of the price rises, didn't Canon announce a fair few prices rises a month or so back - mostly to do with the fall of the USD in reference to the rest of the world?
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked the price of a lens I was interested in, and the rise was nowhere near as big as those, and could havebeen justified on the basis of the fall in the $A from its peak of a week or so ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Price increase is due to the weakening AUD as well. I'm no market expert but this is what i understand. AUD is getting quite big hits at the moment and may continue to do so as the USD starts to rally. AUD should strengthen for one last push before taking a dive. I could be very wrong as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFy View Post
    Price increase is due to the weakening AUD as well. I'm no market expert but this is what i understand. AUD is getting quite big hits at the moment and may continue to do so as the USD starts to rally. AUD should strengthen for one last push before taking a dive. I could be very wrong as well.
    Not at all. The $AU dropped only <4% for the weekend is now back up above parity. Hardly explains a >10% hike.

Retailers trying to ride the excuse of a natural disaster is probably much closer to the truth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very true. Typical profiteering from an already bloated sector. Australian prices actually look pretty good compared to grey atm.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com