I've been wanting to buy a ringflash for some time, but was always put off by the high prices of these items.
I have seen the ones that just bolt onto the front of your speedlights, but I wasn't impressed by the way they just re-direct the light and they are just so messy to fit and keep all together.
I also looked at the Sigma ringflash, but I didn't like that it just had 2 small strobes built into the sides of the unit as I wanted something that gave a smooth, round light.
While trolling through the net last week, I saw a ringflash that was selling for just $120.00, so I thought I'd give it a go.
I recieved it yesterday and played around with it last night when I got home from work.

I was blown away!
It actually works, and works very well too.
The camera (Canon D60) handles the flash nicely, and the flash does adjust through the camera.

Here's a couple of shots I took last night, in the dark using my Canon 60mm macro lens on auto focus.

IMG_4611.jpg

IMG_4624.jpg

This is a true ringflash with one, circular light.
I took a pic of the ring to show you too.

IMG_4667.jpg

While I found that if working close to your subject, especially if it is white, the full auto setting will give you some blown highlights, but with a little adjustment, as you would normally do for macros, like aperture etc., it works very nicely, especially for the money.
I found the maximum effective distance is 2-3 metres, so it's quite good for portrature as well.

The flash came from a site called Dino Direct.
I have also bought a LED video light from them a while ago, for $50.00, and that also works well.
I have no affiliation with Dino, just passing on something that may interest some of you.