Thread: where to go for a vacation

Formerly known as : ColdBlood :
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question where to go for a vacation

hi
    I'm a bit tired of seascapes and close surrounds and want some new things to shoot.

I need a new place to go for a while - 3 days or even 7 if it's that good.
    it should be nice and reachable by train
    I'm not familiar at all with the things other than Sydney beaches, Port Stephens and a bit of Blue Mountains.

what could you suggest?
    Nikon D750, Tamron 15-30, Nikkor 70-300 VR2
    https://antongorlin.com
    Real Estate Photography

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See the Jenolan Caves thread Jenolan Caves Thread

Sunday 3 April at 8:30 am, there is one definte place available (and possibly a second) for the private photographer's tour of of the Persian and Egyptian Chambers of the Orient Cave and the into the Temple of Baal. The cost is $55 each for 2 hours and a guide will be provided. Pre-payment is required.

Jenolan Caves is about a 3 hour drive from Sydney and you could manage it on the Sunday morning if you wished. You can also do it by train/coach or coach from Sydney or Katoomba. You use to be able to CountryLink (i.e. the railways) but there is nothing on their web site arout Jenolan Caves packages.

Anyway, we are all staying on the Saturday night and and I am also staying the Sunday night and a lift may be possible. You would need around 3 days or more if you want to cover all the other caves. Some of the caves are only open once or twice a week and only allow very limited numbers, while the bigger/more popular caves have multiple public tours each day.

If you are interested, send me a message.

Cheers

Peter
    Last edited by peterb666; 17-03-2011 at 7:12pm.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh...that sounds very good
    but I promised that weekend to my gf...
    have to think

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out your train timetables, there are hundreds of places you could reach in 1/2 day. All the central west is great, Mudgee, Orange, or wait a couple of weeks and go up to the New England area for autumn colours, the south coast is lovely and quite different to around Sydney, you could get a bus to the Snowy Mtns areas, lovely summer or winter, or go to Canberra and enjoy the museums and scenic sites.

The world is your oyster man, from a base in Sydney!
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking about Dubbo... they've got a zoo. maybe I'll find some walks or something.
    are these (Dubbo, Orange, Mudgee etc - all central west) look about the same? or are there special interests in some of these places?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm voting for Armidale if you are thinking about the New England area as a possibility. There are all sorts of things to shoot around there; waterfalls, old homesteads, early colonial architecture and the surrounding national parks are magnificent! Only one train a day in and out BUT the railway station itself is also quite interesting!
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what's the best time to go there to see autumn - April or May?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best bet is to ask a local. PM Tikira on this forum and either Wayne or Di will give you the good oil on autumn timing. It's likely to be earlier rather than later up there because of the elevation and cold.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So ColdBlood, where are you going for your vacation? (just in case I can be hospitable if you're coming this way)