Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12

Thread: 16-35mm L or the 17-40mm L

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 16-35 kills the 17-40 at f2.8..... And probably at f4 too. But who often uses a wide at either aperture. I use the 17-40 and when I purchased it I had the money to go either way and no hesitation not to spend. I chose the 17-40 because it fulfils my needs. At f8 it is tack sharp. Lots of people whinge and whine about lack of sharpness in wides and most often its people who dont use them or dont know how to use them. I use the 180L a lot and so have a very good comparison of what an ideal sharp lens should be and the 17-40 when I use it works great. As to whether its better than your lens. Not sure I had both but at the time of owning the 10-22mm I was one of the people who thought they knew how to use it but didnt. My brother gets great shots. I immediately notice colour rendition upon the change though and I know the 1ds meters and replicates colours beautifully which may pursuay my thoughts but to anyone who can use a wide there is nothing wrong with the 17-40. Just read magazines and look at what lens took what shots, youll find time and again 17-40 pops up way more often. Just like the 100-400 makes way more entries into photo comps than either comparable prime that people on these websites will tell you is way better.
    Using a 7d or a s95
    Advice and Edits welcome
    http://adamrose.wordpress.com/ [/CENTER]

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    The 16-35 kills the 17-40 at f2.8...
    Given the fact that 17-40 cannot open up to f/2.8, the 16-35 would always win. No competition. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha, no just engineer, i take it you're both.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    Given the fact that 17-40 cannot open up to f/2.8, the 16-35 would always win. No competition. :-)
    that's what i thought, but i think they meant the 16-35 @ f/2.8 is better than the 17-40 @ f/4