User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Just for Interest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just for Interest

Up early yesterday and headed outside to wait for the sunrise and take some shots of the mob of about 10 roos standing in the paddock next door. Just then a flock of 9 yellow tailed blacks started flying towards me so I fired off a couple of shots. As I was doing this the mob of roos bolted like someone had fired a gun - strange.

When I got inside and downloaded my efforts of the morning, I saw something in the two otherwise very ordinary shots of the flock of birds. Perhaps this explains why the roos bolted.

I have never captured a falling star before.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is! There was no EXIF to indicate time between shots, but I suspect it wasn't moving that fast - streak length and two positions. It may have been a "bolide", which tend to be longer lived than most "shooting stars". Bolides can be quite bright even in daylight. Good catch for the birds (and how many wingflaps between frames??), and well-spotted celestial phenomenon. Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if it was a Falling star , The trail would have been longer, Zoom in to 100 to 200% And have a look , You might have a UFO Thingy
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could also have been a satellite, or the ISS ( though I think the ISS would have been brighter) Oh... International Space Station
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested to know what it is. Good catch anyway.

If you post the details of the time of capture someone on here might be able to work out what it was

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the comments and information. The photos were taken 15/3/2011 at 5:28:33 and 5:28:34 AEDT respectively. Both shot at ISO400 | f5.0 | 1/15 looking almost due east over the ocean from Woolgoolga NSW.

@William - I did have a look at 200% but it just appears as a streak of light - no form.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianne View Post
    ...The photos were taken 15/3/2011 at 5:28:33 and 5:28:34 AEDT respectively. Both shot at ISO400 | f5.0 | 1/15 looking almost due east over the ocean from Woolgoolga NSW...
    Ta, Liane. That's 1 second apart, so it is not appearing to move across the sky at the usual flashing speed of a meteor. Satellites are rather leisurely in their traverses as well. Hmm...! Who knows?
    Am.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its looks like satellite maybe space station.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for your help. I checked out NASA on the web and bingo, the ISS was in this area on Tuesday.

SATELLITE LOCAL DURATION MAX ELEV APPROACH DEPARTURE
    DATE/TIME (MIN) (DEG) (DEG-DIR) (DEG-DIR)

ISS Tue Mar 15/05:26 AM 2 15 11 above S 15 above SE