User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Macro Lens

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There probably should be a site rule that allows moderators or someone like that to edit and/or delete posts about equipment where the advice is completely and obviously wrong and is likely to mislead people badly. Well, no, there shouldn't be such a rule, it would be controversial and unworkable, and in any case, other posters can always chime in to provide correct information - and if you don't read all the way to the end of the thread before you spend your hard-earned, it's your own fault!

Quote Originally Posted by Bromeo View Post
    Get the Canon 100mm 2.8 or the L IS, there's not much difference
    IS makes a huge difference, and as a bonus, the new lens has even sharper optics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromeo View Post
    don't buy the ef-s model it's horribly shit.
    This is just plain wrong. Hopelessly wrong. The EF-S 60mm macro is universally regarded as a superb little lens. I have never, ever seen or heard a bad review or a bad report (apart from the nonsense above). Lots of AP members own this lens, and produce excellent work with it.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    There probably should be a site rule --- huge snip ------ produce excellent work with it.
    All of that which you said has ( as usual with your thoughts ) more than a modicum of common sense, but seeing as fora are for people to air their views ( politely) whether they be technically correct or incorrect it would amount to censorship to cull posts because one or maybe more moderators dislike the view of the OP.

Especially in this thread which I hadn't really looked at until now, it would seem that the wheat has been separated from the chaff so to speak by quite a few knowledgeable opinions anyway.
    People on the 'net simply have to weigh the pros ( many ) against the cons ( few ) and if you look at the membership status of the fella you so vehemently disagreed with you might see the sort of reliable opinion that he was capable of.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP - you probably already have one, but I have found a good tripod to be essential for macro photography, due to smaller apertures needed to get a practical DOF at such close working distances.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt that I would buy a 60mm macro, the working distance is just ridiculously small.

Ok for inanimate objects and very placidmetazoa though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a 100mm l is its a great lens very sharp and the IS does help I do not prefer to use a tripod for macro as it is just nit comfortable for me it is quiet light I weight on a 50d this will give you some extra working distance because of the crop factor
    Dwarak Calayampundi

Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another thumbs up for the Tamron 90 macro - bargain lens good for bugs and portraits in 90mm focal mode

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another 100mm f2.8 non-L macro owner here. Tis a very good lens indeed.

For all intents and purposes though, you can't really go wrong with any prime lens that can do at least 1:1 macro in regards to IQ (you'd be splitting hairs to see a measurable difference IMO). Focal length, build quality, price, etc are the only real things to consider which macro lens to spend your hard earned on.

A dedicated macro flash (ring flash, off camera flash, etc) is an huge improvement in doing macro stuff if you really get into it.
    Last edited by gabber; 10-05-2011 at 2:40am.
    A magical box that captures light!
    flickr

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bennymiatta if that is a shite lens I just want one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for the canon 100mm 2.8 macro lens
    |Gear|Canon 5D MkII + Grip |Canon 7D + Grip |Canon 580EXII x 3|Canon EF Fisheye 15mm F/2.8 |Canon EF 16-35mm F/2.8L Mk II | |Canon EF 400mm F/5.6L |Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS |Canon EF 24-105mm F/4 L IS |Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 Macro |Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 MK II |Sekonic L-358 Lightmeter |Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod + 322RC2 Head |Manfrotto 628B Monopod | Wireless Remote Flash Trigger PT-04 CN & 5 Receivers| Plus Too Much More (Filters Ect)
    Chris | http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=119829358036800 | http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisprendergast |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricat View Post
    Bennymiatta if that is a shite lens I just want one
    I can't blame you!
    I love it too, although my dream macro lens is the yet-to-be-released Sigma 150mm macro with OS.
    I use this 60mm Macro lens for work quite often, as it works well in my little studio for taking photos of buckles and small fittings, and problems with made-up goods where it doesn't matter if you need to get close.
    The picture below is a metal eyelet less than 20mm across.

GoldEyeletS.jpg
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    will the canon 100 macro f2.8lens get up close to a fly for exaple and really show its detail, and how close do you have to be to the subject to capture this

thanks
    Canon EOS 50D, Canon 15-85 F3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 70-200 F4L IS USM - Fujifilm finepix s9600,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Canon 100mm macro (either the L or the all-black one) will let you get fine detail of a fly's eye, but you'll need to be pretty close to it.

All true macro lenses will allow you to focus close enough so that you can get a 1:1 image on the sensor.
    So if your sensor is an APSC size, then a fly is about the same physical size and so you can fill the entire frame with the fly showing every facet of his/her eye and every single hair on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used the 100mm f2.8 (non L) for many macro shots of flies with the 50D, and you can certainly see the detail you are after. If you have a decent enough flash (and the 430 qualifies), then you do not need a tripod. I have a 580EXII flash and use a lumiquest soft box to diffuse the light a little. When macro shooting I turn of the auto focus on the lens and set the focus to the minimum distance (thereby ensuring 1:1). I use myself to focus the shot moving myself and camera in and out slightly until the subject is in focus. The working distance is small, but not so much as to make it impossible to get the shot. Not sure of the exact details but the critters are around 5 to 10cm away.

here are some example shots if you are wondering ...

Tachinid Fly by Andrew Durick, on Flickr

Green Fly by Andrew Durick, on Flickr

Blowfly by Andrew Durick, on Flickr

Feel free to check out my flickr site for more than just flies ... with most shots a combination of 50D and 100mm

Andrew

Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your reply and photos, your shots are amazing, if you dont mind me asking what mode do you shoot in to capture images like this.

Regards
    Kyle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the kind words.

I shoot these in Manual mode, setting the shutter to 1/250th (in line with the flash sync), generally ISO400 to bring out some of the background, f11 to f16 (mostly f14). The flash is set to manual as well - with the power setting down to 1/2 to 1/4 (diffused 580EXII).

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cant wait to get a lens now, looking forward in capturing so many different insects. I guess it will be hard trying to get the insect to stay there while setting up for the shot, I have seen some amazing shots of dragon flies i have always wondered how these are captured they are so fast and usually when approaced they buzz off..

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice shots Andrew,
    and even more important for People like me the explanation how you did it .
    I think I will practise that as well if you don`t mind! Oh, and I have a 90mm Tamron, but not a decent flashlight , so I think that will then the next equipment on my list !
    Cheers Klaus!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sharing a shot using the 100macro L at f4.5 1/125 and ISO 160, no flash and handheld.

Canon 5D3 | 50L | 100L | 24 -105L | 70-200L

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    NOTE: This forum is not a critique forum. Only post photos if you are demonstrating a particular aspect of a macro lens etc. Any future photo posts that are not about discussion of macro lenses will be removed
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooops, sorry, Rick, I must be too anxious to show that the 100L is a pretty sharp piece of glass to me and got the photo posted at the wrong forum. Will put up a few more at the right place.
    Last edited by alwaysDSLR; 25-02-2012 at 1:46am.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast