• Internet searches

46 33.33%
  • Books

37 26.81%
  • Videos (online or CD/DVD)

36 26.09%
  • Photography magazines

31 22.46%
  • Learnt from someone (friend/associate)

17 12.32%
  • Formal training (courses online/offline)

9 6.52%
  • Other..specify

3 2.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you learn to post process your photos?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How did you learn to post process your photos?

Another Poll. I am interested in finding out how members learnt to post process. If, like me, you learnt from several methods, this poll allows you to pick as many of those methods as you want, but remember we are looking for the primary ways you learnt.
    Last edited by ricktas; 12-03-2011 at 10:06am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Self taught with the aide of a few good books and that wonderful resource, YouTube.

Thinking about signing up to Lynda.com for a while and see if I can't improve my skills
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same as Mark above, but I really have little creative talent or vision, so I not very good at it. Would really love to learn much more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did a Photography workshop with a small component of Post Processing involved. Started with Picasa, still love it, but upgraded to CS5.
    Did a workshop specifically for Photoshop CS5 and also bought a DVD from a local trainer so I can stop/start/repeat what I've learned.
    It's finally starting to make sense and I'm now enjoying the learning curve I'm on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Primarily self-taught I think, don't really remember. Picked up a few tips and tricks from other photographers along the way.

Obviously still learning all time, I don't have any intentions of being a retouching pro though so I only look to learn what's going to be useful to me.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mainly self taught by experimenting but in the last 2 years or so I have used web sites to gain knowledge of more advanced techniques. The single most useful website I have found (for me personally) is the master Classes at better Photography (there is a free one to try and see if you like it).
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A variety of methods for me, self taught , then a short course at a local community college, books, magazines, online forums and videos. I look at many things and use the ones that suit me.
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Combination of self-taught via T&E, advice/tips from other togs I've met, forums, google fu, and magazines; can't really say any one of those has been more dominant than another, as they have all had different advantages and drawbacks (for me anyway)
    Six|West Studios

Canon 5D Classic | Canon 40D (gripped) | EF 24-70 f/2.8L USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8L USM | 430EXII | Kata DR-467

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not learnt how to process my photos yet other than to open them, maybe crop them a little, resize them and then sharpen a little because the resizing them softened the images (just resently figured out how to do that ).

I hope to one day be able to afford something like Photoshop and then I will need someone to show me how to use it because I am not good at reading 'how to do' books
    Steve

Equipment: A couple of Canons with some lenses and a heap of enthusiasm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After posting pics up on a forum years ago with simple contrast/contrast adjustments in photoshop, I learnt the basic tequnique of giving the image a bit of an s-curve instead after people posted reworks, and to be honest, since then i havn't really improved or advanced my methods much. I don't like to over process the images, and i've found with better equipment I have not needed to alter the photos as much as i used to anyway.
    I can blend images and use masks etc and other tricky stuff, but haven't learnt a whole lot more on basic image processing. Still have lot to learn, just need to set aside the time!
    Last edited by pmack; 12-03-2011 at 12:58pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much like some of the others, I learnt a lot through trial and error. I also picked up stuff from magazines, books, internet and friends. Most of the things I have learnt are processes that I use all the time and learnt or searched to learn them when I needed to do something different I didn't already know. I don't think there is any point learning all the tricks of PS or LR if you don't use them regularly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pretty well self taught to start with and now graduating to book and you tube and other online video help. Great fun but boy is it time consuming.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Self taught, but with added influences. Some stuff ive picked up from forum(s), some stuff i've recieved instructions from a friend on, a book or two have taught me some useful tricks but one of the more useful ones for me has been Lynda.com, has given me some decent instruction over the more advanced techniques.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trial & error, good books and YouTube videos.
    Cheers
    Darey

Nikon user, Thick skinned and wanting to improve, genuine C & C welcomed.

Photographs don't lie ! - Anonymous Liar

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mainly self taught with the click and see method, added to my skills with forums like this and magazine tutorial discs.
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Self taught, using internet tutorials and more recently youtube.
    Cheers
    Emma

Avoid shooting with a 12 gauge shotgun. Use a Canon instead.

Canon 5D, Canon 7D, 50mm 1.4, 18-55mm, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, 580EX Speedlight. Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like most other, self taught, but I did enrol (twice) at the local TAFE for a course that was cancelled at short notice both times.

When I find the time I'd like to track down a course at a Melbourne based TAFE or other provider.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically I loaded up an image and tried out the filters and other tools and just observed what happened and then utilised what I learnt.
    Mat.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] K-x, Sigma 18 - 125, Vivitar 100 - 300, RICOH KR10Super & KR10M (film), Filters, Tubes
    Flickr, RedBubble, Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Self taught too, through trial and LOTS of errors. The biggest problem is then forgetting what I did, and how I did it....

Wayne
    D300s and D60. Nikkor 35mm 1.8 & 50mm 1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm; Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6; Tamron 90mm, Elements 8
    ...........................................................................................C&C is always welcome......................................................................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Self taught and picking bits and pieces up of this site but a lonnnnnnnnng way to go.
    My stuff.Canon 5DMk11 Canon 40d BG-E2N Canon 17/40 F.4 L
    Canon 400 F5.6 L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast