Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 9.0 Earthquake just hit Japan.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I dont know Darren, Nostradamus made these predictions long before Hollywood !! Also there is Edgar Cayce who has predicted the same pretty well , Anyway I dont care what they are saying really, It's just that there is Volcanic activity around the Pacific Rim , And I have an Evactuation Plan to bolt if it happens , May as well , Remember the old Boy Scout Motto, "Be Prepared"
    broken clock is right twice a day etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would have have thrown a spanner in the works if Canon and Nikon had been wiped off the map......we would all have had to turn to Pentax

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Thanks Odille, 100mtrs up should do it , Hope we dont have to take you up on the offer , Mind you , You wont get much notice , I'll bring the drinks
    Just roll up and take us as we are!
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    8000 x stronger actually Odille
    There you go, I was worried it was 80 and I'd got it wrong - well I had but not the way I thought. Awesome ( in the true sense of the word) power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watching Channel 24 ABC , Reporting Magnitude 4 Quake in North Queensland Well on the little bar that runs across the Bottom of the screen , Have'nt heard much else tho
    Last edited by William; 15-03-2011 at 9:39pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh nooooooo

The end of the world is nigh (May 21st actually)
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    As the Japanese earthquake occured on the same geological plate that the New Zealand one did, does this mean that the Pacific plate is on the move?
    Definately something unsettled with these continental plates at the moment. A small tremor was recorded off the Nth Qld coast this afternoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh nooooooo

Thats my brothers Birthday , we're getting on the Piss !!
    Last edited by William; 15-03-2011 at 9:40pm. Reason: Speeling Misteak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were in Sydney yesterday and I had a good old laugh at their ignorant expense.

Formerly : Apollo62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All this doomsday crap is like a piece of elastic. You can stretch it to fit almost anything. I clicked on Kiwi's link and immediately began rolling my eyes which pretty much tells you what I thought of that. Nature can exact a terrible toll on every living thing on this planet from time to time as we have seen over the past few months. Life on this planet must conform to the ecosystem that allows all living things to exist on planet Earth and humans tend to forget they are not the masters of their environment as we have been led to believe. This catastrophe in Japan has both a natural (earthquake) and man-made element (possible nuclear reactor meltdown) to it and you can't convince me that there is some alleged deity somewhere thinking to itself "Let's see how the little buggers handle this one" or that it's all part of some demented 'master plan'.

My sympathies go out to all those affected by the events in Japan, not only their people but the families of Australians who are missing and, as yet, unaccounted for.
    Last edited by ricktas; 16-03-2011 at 7:24am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8000 x stronger actually Odille
    I do remember hearing in the early stages figures of 200x stronger, then it jumped to 1000x , then a figure of 8000x appeared and I thought some journalist has misheard, but it seems to have stuck.

Just simply doing the arithmetic to compare a 7.3 & 8.9 Richter scale event the difference is approx 250x.

Still bloody frightening and 89000 times more powerful than the Newcastle quake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo62 View Post
    All this religious crap is like a piece of elastic. You can stretch it to fit almost anything.
    omigosh how did i do that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo53 View Post
    Just simply doing the arithmetic to compare a 7.3 & 8.9 Richter scale event the difference is approx 250x.

Still bloody frightening and 89000 times more powerful than the Newcastle quake
    oops CHCH 2nd quake was 6.3. This is 7900x less than Japan - apologies, mustn't do arithmetic late at night without a decent calculator
    Last edited by Boo53; 16-03-2011 at 12:45am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christchurch was 6.3 (not 7.3).

Quoting and paraphrasing that illustrious source wikipedia, the measurement scales (Richter and Moment Magnitude scales) are a logarithmic scale measuring the horizontal amplitude on a seismometer. However,
    The energy release of an earthquake, which closely correlates to its destructive power, scales with the 3⁄2 power of the shaking amplitude. Thus, a difference in magnitude of 1.0 is equivalent to a factor of 31.6 ( = (10^1.0)^(3 / 2)) in the energy released; a difference in magnitude of 2.0 is equivalent to a factor of 1000 ( = (10^2.0)^(3 / 2) ) in the energy released.
    Thus, 6.3 to 8.9 is an increase of 10^2.6 or 398 in horizontal amplitude, but an increase of (10^2.6)^3/2 or 7943 in energy released. (They are saying that Japan has been re-assessed as 9.0, so that would actually make it 11220 times more energy released.)

It looks such an terrible disaster over there - the awesome power of nature is pretty awful as well.
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromeo
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo62 View Post
    All this religious crap is like a piece of elastic. You can stretch it to fit almost anything.
    omigosh how did i do that?
    What Apollo typed and what you quoted him as saying above, has been edited by you:

What Apollo really typed
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo62
    All this doomsday crap is like a piece of elastic. You can stretch it to fit almost anything.
    Quoting another member and editing what they said, to misquote them, to suit your own agenda, and thus baiting members, is not on... BANNED.
    Last edited by ricktas; 16-03-2011 at 8:59am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh nooooooo

AT least I get to enjoy a birthday drinkie or two first (5th!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some very devastaing pictures just there

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed the Christchurch 2nd quake was was 6.3, but the epicentre was much closer then the first quake some months before, also closer to the surface, thus the effect was much greater.

The tsunami was the main cause of damage in Japan, and it was the tsunami that knocked out the reactor cooling systems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's right - but also when you consider the pictures from Toyko of the actual quake (all be it there was little damage) and then you consider that was 400klm away from the epicentre it's incredible.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast