Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  18
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 9.0 Earthquake just hit Japan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Which would be because Pakistan does not have the TV networks, internet connections etc that Japan has, rather than anyone making a decision to specifically not report it. After all the media have to have access to the content to broadcast it, in the first place.
    Point taken, but not absolutely convinced that lack of technical services were to blame. I have seen live news coverage aired from a mobile phone. My point is that in my opinion I think that people decide what is GOOD news, and what do people want to see. Is the average Aussie Joe worried what is happening in Pakistan ? Maybe on the Cricket pitch ! Do we care about what is happening in Japan ? Of course we do. We drive Toyotas, ride Hondas , use Nikon and Canon cameras, and Japaness tourists come here in their thousands. It's always the same. Supply and Demand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sad to see what has happened , And still happening in Japan, I've been checking out some of the "Nostrodamus Prophecies" Regarding 2011 and 2012 , I have already made evacuation plans in case of a Tsunami If there is a Quake in Peru or Chile, Which is on the cards !! I live very close to the Ocean and there is no real high ground around at all , Well at least we should have plenty of warning , Sad to have to think that way but you never know these days , Have a nice day - Bill
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Very sad to see what has happened , And still happening in Japan, I've been checking out some of the "Nostrodamus Prophecies" Regarding 2011 and 2012 , I have already made evacuation plans in case of a Tsunami If there is a Quake in Peru or Chile, Which is on the cards !! I live very close to the Ocean and there is no real high ground around at all , Well at least we should have plenty of warning , Sad to have to think that way but you never know these days , Have a nice day - Bill
    Glad to hear that you are not one of these fools that will go down to the foreshore to get a picture of a Tidal wave. Watch out for the Full Moon this Sunday William, Rick told us it will be the closest it has been to the Earth for some years. Who knows what effect it will have ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PH005 View Post
    Glad to hear that you are not one of these fools that will go down to the foreshore to get a picture of a Tidal wave. Watch out for the Full Moon this Sunday William, Rick told us it will be the closest it has been to the Earth for some years. Who knows what effect it will have ?

I know the power of the waves !! BTW That full moon does get a mention in the Scheme of things Re: Quakes, Sunday Hey !! Anyway what Tsunami Warning System do we have , If you go to bed and miss the news , Your gone I guess I have at least 2kms to high ground

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the power of the waves !! BTW That full moon does get a mention in the Scheme of things Re: Quakes, Sunday Hey !! Anyway what Tsunami Warning System do we have , If you go to bed and miss the news , Your gone I guess I have at least 2kms to high ground
    I just hope that Straddie will protect our little Island.

ps. You might have to re-borrow that 120-400 for Sunday night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only tip, Would be to have the Kids Boogie Boards ready at the door

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tbh Rick popular attention to an issue is not defined by how much aid a government gives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only tip, Would be to have the Kids Boogie Boards ready at the door
    Hurr Hurr this is a totally appropriate comment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The photos in this link goes someway of showing the magnatude of the disaster -

http://shineyourlight-shineyourlight...2011/03/3.html

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    The photos in this link goes someway of showing the magnatude of the disaster -

http://shineyourlight-shineyourlight...2011/03/3.html

And Here http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/ja...eforeafter.htm move your mouse over the images to see before and after
    Last edited by dbax; 15-03-2011 at 12:25pm.
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its supposed to be at least 4 or 5 times stronger than the Earthquake we had last year in Chile, is hard to image how strong is that and I just hope all the people that in the not-found list appear alive soon.

Tsunami reached our coast around 20 hours later and although in general it was mild, the biggest waves hit the same towns that were severely damaged in last year tsunami destroying the little reconstruction up to date, its been very hard for those people also...

Up Japan!!!
    regards
    From the end of the World with a Nikon D90, Nikon 16/85 3.5-5.6 and Sigma 30 1.4
    Come and visit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don´t worry, the direct line carrying most of the energy runs directly between Chile and Japan, in 1960 Earthquake in Valdivia (south of Chile) 150 people were kiiled by the Tsunami in Japan...and believe you have Kiwi in the first line defending you hehehe.

What impressed me is that there was an alarm around 1 minute before the earthquake that was delivered to all TV´s and Cell phones (think through the digital TV signal) this allowed many people to prepare and scape. The alarm is triggered by the first waves that are not felt by people and give out that a huge event is coming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the Japanese earthquake occured on the same geological plate that the New Zealand one did, does this mean that the Pacific plate is on the move?

There was also another earthquake in China just the day before the Japanese one, and another in Hawaii just after.

Japan moved 2.5M and it even shifted the axis of the earth.

I worry about the axis shift, as it is the axis that determines the seasons here on Earth, and if this has changed, it could mean some serious weather changes for us all.

If this plate is on the move, we cna expect more volcanic activity in Hawaii, and even San Francisco and Los Angeles may also be in for a shock.

Maybe Nostradamus was right, that the end of the world will happen in December 2012!
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding is that Chch and Japan quakes are not linked at all actually.

Japan's quake was actually 8000 times stronger than Chch, makes the mind boggle

All the nonsense about Nosradamus and 2012 are best left with hollywood I think
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know Darren, Nostradamus made these predictions long before Hollywood !! Also there is Edgar Cayce who has predicted the same pretty well , Anyway I dont care what they are saying really, It's just that there is Volcanic activity around the Pacific Rim , And I have an Evactuation Plan to bolt if it happens , May as well , Remember the old Boy Scout Motto, "Be Prepared"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I predict that sometime next year, or maybe 2013, there will be a flood and a landslide, probably in South America or Asia, and 1000's will die

see, not that hard

I dunno, call me a skeptic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough call , But I can hear the waves on the Beach at night from my bed , Thats to close after what I've seen in Japan On how big and how far a Tsunami can travel very quickly , All I'm saying is that we did have a talk about which way we would head if the event did happen , No use trying to think about it at the time

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can bolt up to our place William, we are on the 100m elevation! We'll fit you in.

The quake is now officially a magnitude 9, something like 800x stronger than the one that hit Christchurch (scale is logarithmic, not linear, I think that is the right x figure). That image of the ferry on the 2 story house does it for me, the ferry still has a table and chairs upright on the rear deck! And they are isolating people who have been exposed to radiation, and there is now strong radiation leaking from the #4 plant, with warning to stay inside and hang the laundry inside.

Our poor planet! Maybe she is protesting what we do to her.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8000 x stronger actually Odille

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    You can bolt up to our place William, we are on the 100m elevation! We'll fit you in.
    Thanks Odille, 100mtrs up should do it , Hope we dont have to take you up on the offer , Mind you , You wont get much notice , I'll bring the drinks

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast